This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ZD1211 Install help

So pretty much, I've been sick of windows for a while and decided to switch to kubuntu and all.

the first thing i want to do now that i have it up and running is to get my usb wireless thingie to work. I have a level1 WNC-0301USB. (which i got off of newegg for 99 cents).

On the zd1211 driver install page, it says that those drivers will work with the usb adapter which ive got. my only problem is installing it...

Installation ¶

Make sure you have your kernel sources, preferably in /usr/src/linux

Make sure your kernel is compiled with wireless extensions (CONFIG_NET_WIRELESS) and USB support

Make sure iwconfig is installed (Debian: wireless-tools package)

Download latest drivers

untar

check, if zd1211 or zd1211b is needed. Activate zd1211b in makefile, if necessary. If in doubt, do a lsusb -v and compare the USB ID of the stick listed there with the table above.

make, make install

modprobe -v zd1211 (or modprobe -v zd1211b)

lsmod - you should see zd1211 loaded (see dmesg otherwise)

ifconfig wlan0 up (iwconfig will not work otherwise) - or ip link set wlan0 up to use iproute2

iwconfig wlan0 essid youressid

dhclient wlan0 (or ifconfig.../route... for static IP) - use dhcpd or pump if your distribution does not feature dhclient

With Debian you can optionally use the zd1211-firmware and zd1211-source packages from the unstable or testing distributions.

ok, so i dont know what it means to check to make sure that i have my kernel sources, although i did find 'linux-headers-2.6.15-27' and 'linux-headers-2.6.15-27-386' in the 'src' folder. i think that i had something to do with the making of the second one, but its been more than two weeks since i last messed around with this thing, so i don't remember why. i've been trying to balance figuring it out along with school work, hence the periods of inactivity.

anyways, i skipped the first step and tried googling the 'config_net_wireless' thing, but got nothing that i could really understand..

i remember that i managed to get the wireless-tools thing... i downloaded, untarred, i'm pretty sure that i did the make and make install stuff... i can't remember how that turned out, but i'm pretty sure that it worked fine, because i remember moving on to the next step... because i tried the modprobe thing and got some error or another... and thats where i stopped. so.. the modprobe command would have added that module to the linux kernel? but it wasn't able to? maybe its got something to do with one of the steps that i skipped earlier...

i guess... if anyone has anything to help out or any advice... i'd greatly appreciate it. thanks in advance for stopping by and taking a look at this.
Working...
X