This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost Desktop config, Plus Backups How to questions

I'm just starting to flee the nest off Windows, and migrated via Mint Cinnamon and for an hour or 2 KDE Neon.
    I've landed on Kubuntu and already feeling more comfortable. Just a few observations and one significant setback I'm not sure how happened.

This is the significant one: I spent maybe an hour setting up my desktop. Adding Widgets, adding time zones, desktop backgrounds, Launch Menu objects etc.

I use a hardware KVM to switch to a different desktop to kick off a very long download and then I switched back. My KDE system had "timed out" to the lock screen (It's set to the default 5 mins). When I entered my password I found all my desktop settings had returned to the defaults.
    - All Widgets gone
    - Desktop background returned to the defaults
    - My newly installed Apps are still available though

Questions:
    1. Any idea where my desktop could have gone to? What could I have done wrong? I can rebuild it fairly easily, and likely a bit faster this time; But it would be annoying if I lose it a 2nd time.
    2. System backups on MInt were really easy to setup - switch them on, schedule them and point to a Target; Hit go.
    - The backups app, seems to allow me to write a schedule, but does not offer a "Go now" button.
    - I've installed KUP and it's asking me to select the source folders, but I'd just like it to backup the "system," and all my Home folders. Not sure what to choose.
    - I have a 1.5TB internal second disk that I only use exclusively for taking backups, it's mounted in my mnt folder but the backup is failing saying it can't write to my mnt/data/backup_date_time.tar file. Probably a permissions issue.
    - What folders should I select to make sure I backup the system, desktop configuration and my data?

I'm also finding I have to reboot very frequently to make settings "take", is this to be expected?

My System
    Operating System: Kubuntu 21.10
    KDE Plasma Version: 5.22.5
    KDE Frameworks Version: 5.86.0
    Qt Version: 5.15.2
    Kernel Version: 5.13.0-22-generic (64-bit)
    Graphics Platform: X11
    Processors: 8 × AMD Ryzen 3 3100 4-Core Processor
    Memory: 15.6 GiB of RAM
    Graphics Processor: AMD Radeon Pro W5700
    120GB SSD Boot Drive
    1.4TB Spinning Disk for Backups

Working...
X