This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SDDM not working, only lightdm

I'm running Kubuntu 16.04, on a Desktop computer with 64-bit Xeon Processors, 32 Gbs of Ram, a 750 Gb hard drive and an Nvidia Quadro K5200, with KDE frameworks 5.18.0, and Grub version 0.97-29ubuntu68. Nvidia driver is 378.13

After a botched upgrade from 14.04 I did a fresh install and more or less got things up and running. I didn't like the fact that the default SDDM theme listed all the user names, so I tried to to change the theme and the greeter files. Things there kind of fell apart intially, but I got it back up and running, or so I thought. At some point last week, I suddenly wasn't able to get past the splash screen (It just said Kubuntu). I was able to ssh in and do things though.

Today, I ran dpkg-reconfigure sddm and selected lightdm instead, and I can now login either in front of the computer or via NX(nomachine).

If I try to go back to SDDM I lose the ability to login again. Also confusing things, is that if I go to the system settings, then "Startup and Shutdown" icon, the Login Screen button only lists SDDM as the available option(despite running LightDM). I never had the button to choose new sddm themes via the GUI.

I've tried re-installing sddm, and running
    systemctl enable sddm
    systemctl disable lightdm
    as suggested in another post on this site, but it didn't help.

So, I am wondering how can I go about getting SDDM to work again, and once that is done, safely change a theme(to one with manual login).

Thanks in advance,
Working...
X