Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Totally new kind of problem, don't know how to title.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Totally new kind of problem, don't know how to title.

Recently I opened my computer to reset the CMOS. After resetting the CMOS, I closed the box, but apparently moved an internal cable which after restarting the computer I heard a rubbing noise that sounded like something rubbing against a fan blade.

I didn't shut the system off, I just removed the side panel, found the rubbing cable and fixed it from touching the fan, and closed the box. Since I didn't notice bumping the Power ON connection and making that connection come lose, and because the system was still running, I went about my computing business.

I worked for a few hours and the thought of what I had done was no longer in my thoughts.

I updated/dist-upgraded and dpkg'd and got an instruction to restart the computer.

The computer would not shut down or restart. I tried several times. My computer is under a table so I can not readily see the led lights, in fact the thought of them not being on or off never occurred to me, because it is a totally new situation. I reached under the table for the ON/OFF button and first tried the restart button. After several tried with lack of response, I held the On button down for about 30 seconds with no response; the computer kept on running.

Next I unplugged the computer and left it off for about a minute hoping that would correct things. It was then that I first noticed the LDE light for the ON button was not lighted. It caused me to remember the rubbing cable/fan instance and then I thought about possibly bumping the On/Off/restart panel on the motherboard. When I reset the strip that included several power/ground/reset connections, I again started the computer. The LED lights started working, but when I came to the screen where I choose which OS of my dual boot system I to select, but before the Login Screen appeared and tried to open my Kubuntu 14.04 LTS OS, when the Kubuntu splash screen appeared, the system hanged. It remains on that screen as long as I waited. Several minutes.

I then restarted and selected the Kubuntu 16.04 OS, which opened, but being a beta continues to be problematic. It works well enough to write this post and check mail, and even watch a video, but still is not as functional as K14.04. I again restarted to the K14.04 OS and again the system hangs on the Kubuntu spash prior to Login Screen.

My suspicions are that I caused problems by trying to shut the system down, over and over and over prior to noticing the ON button lights were not lit, and not being able to complete a restart that the system required after the update.

I suspect no one has had this problem before. I also selected restarting K14.04 in rescue mode and attempted all the features without success.

Does anyone know what I can do to try to get past this problem? Do you think if I waited long enough for the computer to struggle through the many shut down instructions I gave it prior to noticing the power switch problem. I am willing to wait all night if that might work? If I created a problem under this circumstance would it be the GRUB that I screwed up or the BIOS, I don't understand these areas very well, but it has to be something other than the OS, it was working perfectly prior to trying to restart the computer. Thanks anyone? Shab There have been a few times in the past, where I had to just let the system run for a very long period of time before the computer was able to either self correct or complete the many tasks it had to work through to get past problems I created.
Working...
X