This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YAPACUbW [Yet Another Post About Calligra by Woodsmoke] lol

The old groaners can skip this, it is intended for "new folks" who have probably heard the much belaboured: Calligra doesn't do everything that LO does.

I've argued this before, many times:

a) Just WHAT IS IT that "you" do......with a word processor, database, etc?

If you don't "need" things that LO provides then you don't.....ummm need.........LO, necessarily.

Here is an example of what I did at about 2:00 a.m. this morning.

I've been wrestling with how to do a "line transect" study of coral populations on reefs which provides ACCURATE positioning so that subsequent researchers can re-survey the transect, and also so that the transect has repeatable parameters which are able to be used by any person who might wish to re-STUDY the data and put their own particular massage on it.

So, after tossing and turning, I had something of an ah-ha moment, got up, turned on the computer and fired up Calligra, typed out the idea and saved.

Then, using the "add shape" fucntion from the detached side bar, after having changed the view from "not distracting" I added in a shape and labled it using the "text shape" for the "boat", and then also the beginning of the transect of an imaginary reef segment, and then the ending of it, and connected them with lines and saved.

I then added in "review" and my name was inserted and made a comment as to changelog etc. so that the person to whom I will mail it will have a place in which to start a review and leave comments. The comment also includes the date and time automagically.

Again, after saving, and double checking it, I went to file and mail and e-mailed it to the two other researchers for review.

NOTE: if one opens it in LO, or in Microsludge the formatting of the inserted graphics and inserted text will probably be altered.

To minimize this I always use Arial as a font and make sure that the "graphics" are well away from text so that the problem is minimized.

HOWEVER again, surprisingly, Win 8.0 will actually read an odt document and won't fiddle with it too much.

So,

b) why do I do this when I could use LO?

Ummm I use LO for some things, but I use Calligra to support FOSS, etc.

c) so......for the new folks.......... please consider just exactly you actually DO with a word processor etc.

and yes, keep both suits on the computer....for "just in case".....i mean with the humonguous drives we have now we could have multiple iterations of every single piece of office software available and not make a dent in the hard drive.........so that consideration is not nearly as important as it was in the past.

d) another item, which I will not go into because I've done it mulitple times before is that I consider the layout of Calligra to be very "ergonomic" in terms of wrist strain etc.

just some comments, of little worth.

woodsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Oct 10, 2014, 02:19 AM.
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!
Working...
X