Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

sudo no longer accepts my login password

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • mbohets
    replied
    The problem misteriously went away I don't know why though.
    Today, I was about to report this as a bug in launchpad, and typed in the top row on the keyboard in yakuake again to copy it in my bug report,
    and to my surprise, all characters were there.

    I don't know why though because I did not do anything related to locales.
    The only thing I did was install some extra video editing software.
    The only thing I can think of is that it must have triggered the installation of some left over language or locale sw.
    but I don't know why, after my last post, I did several reboots, and now suddenly it seems to be ok.

    Linux works in misterious ways

    Leave a comment:


  • mbohets
    replied
    Yes, I selected this keyboard layout on the live usb before installing Kubuntu and also selected it during the install process to make sure I got the keyboard layout correct.
    After installation, I got a notification that not all language components were installed, and I clicked on install them before doing anything else.

    I am beginning to thing I hit on a bug and I should notify it via launchpad to get it fixed.

    Leave a comment:


  • vinnywright
    replied
    AAAaaaa we may be getting above my pay grade hear ,,,,,,,, do you have all the language and localization files for your layout installed , and did you select that as your keybord layout at install ??

    VINNY

    Leave a comment:


  • mbohets
    replied
    No you misunderstood, I did not open synaptic with sudo, I opened it via the normal kde application launcher, not with sudo on the command line.
    When you do this it pops up an inputbox to ask for the passwd.

    I have an azerty Belgian keyboard layout, and the top key row contains following characters &é"'(§è!çà) when typing the same keys with caps lock on this shows up 121234567890°
    When I type all these characters in a console only &"'(!) show up and with caps 1234567890, so a number of special characters are missing.

    Here is a screenshot of the Belgian keyboard layout, so not all special characters are showing when I type them in a konsole.

    Leave a comment:


  • mbohets
    replied
    No you misunderstood, I did not open synaptic with sudo, I opened it via the normal kde application launcher, not with sudo on the command line.
    When you do this it pops up an inputbox to ask for the passwd.

    I have an azerty Belgian keyboard layout, and the top key row contains following characters &é"'(§è!çà) when typing the same keys with caps lock on this shows up 121234567890°
    When I type all these characters in a console only &"'(!) show up and with caps 1234567890, so a number of special characters are missing.

    Here is a screenshot of the Belgian keyboard layout, so not all special characters are showing when I type them in a konsole.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	belgian keyboard.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	642312
    Last edited by mbohets; Jul 08, 2014, 03:49 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • vinnywright
    replied
    Originally posted by mbohets View Post
    I opened synaptic package mgr.
    Before starting it pops up a passwd box, when I type in my passwd it says wrong passwd also
    you will mess up the permissions in your /home if you run GUI apps with sudo ,,,,,,,you must use kdesudo to open a GUI app with root privilege in Kubuntu .

    run this and lets see if root has taken over any of your ~/ files
    Code:
    find /home -type f -uid 0 -print
    and what special characters,,,,stuff like !@#$%^&*()_+ ?

    VINNY

    Leave a comment:


  • mbohets
    replied
    I opened synaptic package mgr.
    Before starting it pops up a passwd box, when I type in my passwd it says wrong passwd also

    Leave a comment:


  • mbohets
    replied
    There seems to be something wrong with typing special characters in the passwd field of a gui application, or in konsole.
    when I type my password in konsole (in clear text) the special characters don't show, when I type the same special characters in kate or here for example this à it shows up.

    IMO nothing wrong with my passwd, but something seems to be wrong with the acceptance of special characters in some passwd input fields
    When I start the computer, my login/passwd are accepted, my login/passwd is also accepted in the ctrl-alt-F1 text console, but it is not accepted in passwd input fields when I am in kde.

    Leave a comment:


  • vinnywright
    replied
    Originally posted by mbohets View Post

    The password is not accepted either when opening a gui application that needs root privileges (synaptic package mgr)


    .
    oopsy ,,,did you do this ,,,,,,open a GUI app with sudo

    VINNY

    Leave a comment:


  • mbohets
    replied
    same thing happens

    In konsole and yakuake iget this
    marc@bgc:~$ sudo apt-get update
    [sudo] password for marc:
    Sorry, try again.
    [sudo] password for marc:

    The password is not accepted either when opening a gui application that needs root privileges (synaptic package mgr)


    When I open a console via ctrl-alt-F1 and login, it works normal, my password is accepted.

    Leave a comment:


  • vinnywright
    replied
    sounds strange ,,,,,,,it should not accept anywhere if it is not accepted somewhere,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,for a test open a konsole and do

    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    ,,,,dose it get accepted?
    what did it say?

    VINNY

    Leave a comment:


  • mbohets
    started a topic sudo no longer accepts my login password

    sudo no longer accepts my login password

    Yesterday I installed Kubuntu 14.04, I add a number of packages, installed Brother printer drivers, everything worked perfectly.
    Today, I try to add some more packages, and the package manager does not accept my password anymore.
    When I type sudo -i in konsole, it does not accept the passwd either.

    When I go in a terminal session with ctrl-alt-F1, I can login and I also can go to root with sudo -i, so there it accepts my password.
    Any ideas why this is and how to solve it ?

    The same thing happens in linux mint 17 KDE, since it is based on Ubuntu 14.04, I guess mint inherited this from Ubuntu.

Users Viewing This Topic

Collapse

There are 0 users viewing this topic.

Working...
X