Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with Windows XP dual boot

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Shabakthanai
    replied
    I am not the guru that most of the helpers are, however, you may be at a similar or lesser level of operator, so I will ask a couple of questioins to see if I can help. By the way, the previous post was just terrific, but there were a couple of points not stressed that may be the reason you are having difficulty. Do you remember, when installing Kubuntu, did you choose custom install? If you did, did you make partitions for the kubuntu installation, ie. "/" (or boot partition containing your new operating system), "Linux swap", needed in a Kubuntu application (choose this when naming your file systems), and "/home".

    Do you remember choosing whether the partitions were "Logical" of "Extended". The boot partition must be a logical partition. Did you create a partition for /home. It contains all your files and is separate from the OS should you have an Operating System catastrophic failure that requires re-installation. Having /home as a designated private partition, protects your data from that loss.

    Next, do you remember selecting a file system for those partitions, for example, "ext2, ext3, ext4, Linux swap" and perhaps "extended partition" perhaps for your /home partition? And finally before clicking on "install", do you remember naming each of your partitions, "/" for the operating system, "Linux swap", for the swap area, and "/home" for your data. This step would identify your boot partition containing your new operating system and is necessary for your boot loader to recognize it when you restart after installation. What should happen next is your computer opening to a page that offers you the choice to select either Kubuntu or Windows XP. Because of the order of installation, your computer will automatically open in Kubuntu, if you don't select XP, that is what should have happened, according to my understanding.

    Remember, if you are past my level of skill, you will probably think me presumptuous in my attempt at help, however, if you are a beginner, my information should be a great help to you.

    The fact that your system boots to XP suggests that it was not deleted accidentally in your attempt to install. If you naturally did the things I suggested, I probably am not the one to help you, however if you did not do those steps, you may be able to solve your problem by naming your file system (I prefer ext4, however ext2 is fine for your boot partition and ext3 or 4 is suitable for your home partition, typing in the mount points, ie. "/" for the boot mount point, type in "/home" for your data partition, "swap" (minus the quote signs), "swap" will enter itself and does not need to be mounted.

    Strangely enough, installing a new operating system seems to have its own personality and new unexpected things happen rather naturally, however, some things are a must with your linux installation, especially when dual-booting. Hope this helps and does not appear condescending. It is the way I need help when I ask on the forum, really basic. Good luck, friend.
    Originally posted by NickStone View Post
    As you have 4 hard disks, I am assuming that you have Kubuntu installed on one of those 4 disks but either you or the installer had failed to install grub boot loader on the primary hard disk.

    Try this http://docs.kubuntu.org/installation.html#disk-setup to set up your disks for the installation.
    Last edited by Shabakthanai; May 26, 2014, 03:37 AM. Reason: correct a couple of words

    Leave a comment:


  • NickStone
    Guest replied
    As you have 4 hard disks, I am assuming that you have Kubuntu installed on one of those 4 disks but either you or the installer had failed to install grub boot loader on the primary hard disk.

    Try this http://docs.kubuntu.org/installation.html#disk-setup to set up your disks for the installation.

    Leave a comment:


  • olgarosh
    started a topic Help with Windows XP dual boot

    Help with Windows XP dual boot

    Hi, I installed Kubuntu from a DVD that I burned. I have a 32 bit, 1GB RAM Desktop PC.
    The original OS is XP Professional. I have 4 HDs totaling 460 GB. I believe the installation went smoothly,
    but when it prompted me to restart my PC it keeps going straight to Windows login. How do I get the screen with the dual boot option?
    Thanks in advance

Users Viewing This Topic

Collapse

There are 0 users viewing this topic.

Working...
X