X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

liveDVD harddrive access problem

Hi all,
    Newbie linux user here.  Kubuntu, or any other distro I tried wouldn't work on my new machine, except for Knoppix.  I really wanted to try this so I am running the liveDVD on my older computer.  I really like the look and feel of it so far, but I had a couple of questions please.

1)With Knoppix all of my harddrives are visible right on the desktop.  With Kubuntu I have looked thru Konquerer and have tried mounting with terminal, but I cannot seem to see any stuff on harddrives in my system.  The only thing showing up is the media drive(the dvd drive).  I have notes and full web pages saved in my documents(From WindowsXP) with all kinds of tips, training and guides on linux that I really need access to when I am running this, as I am trying to educate myself and eventually figure out how to get linux running on my main machine.  I have created an Ext2 partition on my hard drive just to store stuff that I may download etc.  I am able to finally see the drives listed thru Disk and Filesystems but it says to "click Administrator mode button to allow modifications" and when I do that I still cannot even open or see what is on the drives.  I wanted an explorer type view so I could scroll through directories etc.  Any ideas?  I have tried to left click, double-click, middle click and right click on the drives as well as looking thru the file menus - nada.

2)Is there a way to save my desktop, anything I have downloaded etc. while running the liveDVD so I will have access to it the next time I boot the liveDVD?

3)Why are there so many less options on the K menu with Kubuntu than with Knoppix.  There is the option to save user config, create a swapfile, and even make an img folder on a harddrive in the system.  Seems that Kubuntu has the options hidden if they exist.  Can anyone tell me where to find them please? 
    Are they hidden just because I am running liveDVD.

Additionally when I try to access the help file and it tries to index it I get an error, so I don't have any access to that through Kubuntu at present.
    You may ask why I am messing with Kubuntu when I seem to prefer the way Knoppix does things.  First reason is I am trying out many distros as I can before I decide on which to install.  Second I need to figure out how to get other distros running on my main machine and then decide on which one, and third Knoppix is just supposed to be run from the CD and I have read of nightmare problems with trying to install it.  I understand that I should use Debian to install if I like Knoppix but I am not ready for that step yet and really would like to get Kubuntu completely working before I move on and while I am learning.  Kubuntu runs much faster that Knoppix from the liveDVD anyways unless I use the toram option with Knoppix and run it all in ram. Thanks all in advance for any help or advice!!

T.
Working...
X