This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[KDE] Resource restrictions in kdeglobals cause desktop to crash

Hello - Im new to the forums here, so a big hello to everyone first off.

Second, Im having a bit of trouble with the kiosk functions in Kubuntu 14.04. I am building a new web terminal for employees at my work. I have a working image for a Lenovo 3212, which works more or less perfectly in 12.04. Ive locked down Dolphin using the dolphinrc file, Ive locked down just about everything else in kdeglobals, resource restrictions and action restrictions for the plasma apps. And, Ive also made the plasma-desktop-appletsrc immutable which locks down the widgets and the task bar. The users cant do anything, which is how we want it.

Recently, we have received a new model PC. Lenovo M93p. Unlike the 3212's(win7 + BIOS + MBR), the new PC's came by default with Win8, GPT, UEFI and secure boot enabled. This is becoming quite the pain with regards to imaging, but thats a whole other ballgame.

We've since had the vendor send us the M93's with Win7 by default. So anyway, Im in the process of building a new image using 14.04. I had to switch to the 14.04 in order for the nic card to work. Apparently the default kernel in 12.04 does not support new Intel nic cards. But, I cant update the kernel without internet access, at least not easily, not that I know of anyway. So, 14.04 it is.

The install works fine, but the resource restrictions in kdeglobals cause the entire desktop to crash when logging in. It doesnt seem to matter what I put in there, even one resource or action restriction, immutable or not, causes everything from Kwin to Kmix to Plasma Desktop Shell to all crash at login(Im using an admin account to make changes to config file then logging out and back in as the locked user). It ends up being just a blank desktop, and even ctrl+alt+del causes another application to crash, I forget the name, and then it hangs for a minute or so and then brings me back to the login screen. Also, the plasma restrictions that can be placed in either kdeglobals or in the plasma-desktoprc also cause the desktop to crash at login.

What I need is to get rid of the right click menu's that appear when you right click the single chrome icon on the folderview widget, as well as the menu that pops up when you click on the transparent edge of the folderview widget. On my 3212's I was able to do this by adding action and resource restrictions into kdeglobals, but now anything I put in there crashes the desktop.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can restrict those menus or how I can get kdeglobals to work again?

Thanks in advance
Working...
X