Wayland - ibus warning messages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wayland - ibus warning messages

Just got round to upgrading from 23.04 to 23.10. I switched to Wayland to check it out. On logging in I get the following 2 warning messages;

1) IBus should be called from the desktop session in Wayland. For KDE, you can launch 'systemsettings5' utility and go to "Input Devices" -> "Virtual Keyboard" section and select "IBus Wayland" icon and click "Apply" button to configure IBus in Wayland. For other desktop sessions, you can copy the 'Exec=' line in org.freedesktop.IBus.Panel.Wayland.Gtk3.desktop file to a configuration file of the session. Please refer each document about the "Wayland input method" configuration. Before you configure the "Wayland input method", you should make sure that QT_IM_MODULE and GTK_IM_MODULE environment variables are unset in the desktop session.

2) Please unset QT_IM_MODULE and GTK_IM_MODULE environment variables and 'ibus-daemon --panel disable' should be executed as a child process of ibus-ui-gtk3 component.​

Setting the Virtual Keyboard in System Settings was OK but how do you unset the environment variables and how do you execute 'ibus-daemon --panel disable' as a child process of ibus-ui-gtk3 component. 🤔

Other than having to re-configure the desktop to make it more readable for me, wayland seems to be running OK so far.

Jim!

Same issue here, hasn't affected functionality, but because I am trying to be a good boy and follow the directions, I am trying to sort it out.

First of all, I get no messages when using X11. On Wayland, I was only getting the first message. So I changed the virtual keyboard message and added a bash script to autostart which simply unset the variables:
    unset GTK_IM_MODULE
    unset QT_IM_MODULE

After that, the first longer message went away, and I started getting the second message there.

Then, following suggestions I saw elsewhere, I tried to do this on the script:
    unset GTK_IM_MODULE
    unset QT_IM_MODULE
    ibus-daemon --panel disable &​

kept getting message number 2.

then i tried another suggestion, which was to add that to /etc/environment, but still no dice for me. I guess I am ignoring the message for now, since everything actually works properly. Just wondering what's the deal mostly

​​

Comment

PS.: Since the message also says
      Code:
      For other desktop sessions, you can copy the 'Exec=' line in org.freedesktop.IBus.Panel.Wayland.Gtk3.desktop file to a configuration file of the session.
      I went and checked what that was, which was set to:
      Code:
      Exec=/usr/libexec/ibus-ui-gtk3 --enable-wayland-im --exec-daemon --daemon-args "--xim --panel disable"
      Which seems to be how you would "executed as a child process of ibus-ui-gtk3"

Comment

Here's what I actually did to remove this warning as I initially had no idea how and where to use the "unset" command.

I added the two lines
        Code:
        unset GTK_IM_MODULE
        unset QT_IM_MODUL​E
        as the last entries in ~/.profile

​I added the following single line
        Code:
        Exec=/usr/libexec/ibus-ui-gtk3 --enable-wayland-im --exec-daemon --daemon-args "--xim --panel disable"
        as the last entry in the [General] section of ~/.config/ksmserverrc

Now all is OK. The warning makes a presumption that you have an intimate knowledge of what environment variables are and that you know what things like a "child process" are. 🙂

Jim!
        Last edited by jimlambe; Feb 14, 2024, 06:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X