Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SDDM fingerprint login grey screen

Hi ALL,

Firstly I wanted to say how impressed I am with Kubuntu 23.04!

My PC is an MSI laptop E14 evo A12M and as far as I can say all the hardware works out of the box. That does include HDMI output (used to be as issue in Linux with this particular model of laptops), that does include function keys. I have not yet tested the card reader and Bluetooth. Energy consumption seems to be at around 5-7w idling with decent brightness, so battery life should be good. I did set up an encrypted LVM with no issues. It just works. Impressive!

I am a total newbie to KDE and kubuntu, so take whatever follows next with a pinch of salt and pardon me if the question is misplaced.

Now to the question:

My fingerprint scanner works, I am able to add my fingerprints and fprintd-verify returns no errors. But when I enable fingerprint authentication, I get the same password prompt at boot and no suggestion to use my fingerprint for logging in. However when I enter my password and hit enter, the screen greys out and nothing happens. I tried to offer my finger to the scanner at this point, in case SSDM was waiting for it without giving me a hint, but nothing happened. The PC remained unresponsive, I could call up a terminal, authenticate there with my fingerprint (it worked) and restart the PC.

The problem and the solution is described here.

Firstly, I had to add
    Code:
    auth sufficient pam_fprintd.so​
    to
    Code:
    /etc/pam.d/sddm​
    Now when it boots, I still get the same login prompt with password. I hit enter, the screen greys out, but now my fingerprint unlocks the system, so I am able to log in just with my fingerprint.

All credits go to this person.

So here is the question,

If adding "auth sufficient pam_fprintd.so​" to /etc/pam.d/sddm​ is required for the system to be usable (login_able) after fingerprint auth is enabled, why does this line not get added automatically
    I am not even sure I direct the question to the right audience, maybe kubuntu has nothing to do with it, and it's rather KDE devs, or even SSDM devs. Clearly, SSDM GUI is lacking polish when it comes to fingerprint authentication, not telling user that it expects the fingerprint is meh and breaking password login is also meh. But it's just meh not a deal-breaker. Whereas not having "auth sufficient pam_fprintd.so​" in /etc/pam.d/sddm​ is very much a deal-breaker, unless the user is fine with their PC stuck at greyed out login screen .

Just my 2 cent.

VWV
Working...
X