Originally posted by claydoh
View Post
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Kubuntu 22.04, CUPS, Canon MG6250, test page prints ok, but unable to print from GIMP
Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This topic has been answered.
X
X
-
Now, you might get the same driver for the 'native' gimp by installing the packages printer-driver-gutenprint and gimp-gutenprint, using Muon package Manager (or Synaptic), or usiong the command line:
sudo apt install printer-driver-gutenprint gimp-gutenprint
I don't know if you would want to remove the Snap for cups-gutenprint you installed or not here. But if things are working as desired, then there is no reason to change what is working for you.
Last edited by claydoh; Oct 21, 2022, 12:23 PM.
- Top
- Bottom
Leave a comment:
-
OK, this is a problem with the Snap of Gimp
Or rather Ubuntu being stupid, and not configuring it correctly, perhaps?
Or whoever maintains this particular snap.
You can try this in a terminal to allow the snap to connect to cups:
sudo snap connect gimp:cups-control
- Top
- Bottom
- Selected Answer
Leave a comment:
-
Thanks for your reply. Yes sorry, I should have mentioned that initially, following the upgrade, my Gimp installation was the non-Snap version. In fact, I didn't have CUPS either. I downloaded the driver from Canon, thinking that would solve the problem. I gathered CUPS somewhere along the way, as that seems to be the direction we're heading, or the system being encouraged to adopt. Similarly, I gathered Snap somewhere along the way, when I read, was enticed, with the promise of easier installation and keeping software updated. Rightly, or wrongly, that's how I interpreted it. Curious that Inkscape prints without any difficulty. I've become so used to using the Gimp, that not being able to print is a pain. As a workaround, I can export from Gimp, what I'm working on, to Inkscape for printing, but of course that's far from ideal.
- Top
- Bottom
Leave a comment:
-
Have you tried using the non-Snap, "native" version of Gimp?
Sounds like a problem with Gimp, or the Snap version of it?
Uninstalling and reinstalling software on Linux rarely 'fixes' things like it does in Windows, since it is generally not doing all sorts of funky things in the background. And the ordering of installation won't make a difference, either.
- Top
- Bottom
Leave a comment:
-
Kubuntu 22.04, CUPS, Canon MG6250, test page prints ok, but unable to print from GIMP
Hello
I upgraded from Kubuntu 20.04 to Kubuntu 22.04 recently.
I have CUPS configured for my Canon_MG6200_series printer.
Driver: Canon PIXMA MG6250 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.3.3 (color, 2-sided printing).
Connection: usb://Canon/MG6200%20series?serial=26403B&interface=1.
So, CUPS > Administration > Manage Printers > Canon_MG6200_series > Maintenance > Print Test Page < This prints a test page ok.
I am able to print when using Kate and Inkscape, but I am unable to print whilst using Gimp.
I have installed Snap Gimp, plus the Snap Gutenprint plugin for Gimp, but the Gutenprint option doesn't appear in Gimp.
I cannot see my printer listed.
All there is is the Print option, with an option to print to file.
I cannot find a way of registering my printer in Gimp.
I have uninstalled & reinstalled both Gimp and the Gutenprint plugin.
So, this is what I have tried:
Code:sudo snap remove gimp
Code:sudo apt-get clean
Code:sudo apt-get purge gimp
Code:sudo snap remove gutenprint-printer-app
Code:sudo apt-get clean
Code:sudo apt-get purge gutenprint-printer-app
Code:sudo apt update
Code:sudo apt install snapd
Code:sudo snap install gimp
Code:sudo apt update
Code:sudo apt install snapd
What am I doing wrong?Code:sudo snap install gutenprint-printer-app --edge
Should I install Gimp before, or after, installing the Gutenprint plugin?
I have tried both ways, to no avail.
Gimp worked fine with Kubuntu 20.04, but now I have 22.04 and CUPS, I am unable to print.
I am struggling to understand why.
Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!
Tags: None
- Top
- Bottom
Users Viewing This Topic
Collapse
There are 0 users viewing this topic.
Leave a comment: