This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intranet access Asus router

Disclaimer: my question has nothing directly to do with Kubuntu, but involves granting intranet network access on a K system.
    Problem: I have an Asus router (RT-AX82U). At least in its native state, it does not permit peer-to-peer communication among wireless devices. I have password-protected 2.4G and 5G networks. I also have a guest network for each band, presently not password-protected. (We live way out in the middle of nowhere, so I'm not really worried about strangers jumping onto it.) The router does have a setting for guest networks to enable wireless peer-to-peer communication. I recently purchased a robot vacuum that has software that does require wireless peer-to-peer communication.
    Question: If I put a killer password on my 2.4G guest network, am I opening some kind of huge security vulnerability of which I'm unaware? I realize password protecting the 2.4G guest network in effect makes it unavailable to people visiting our home (so it's not really a guest network any more), but they can always use the 5G guest network.
    Many thanks.
Working...
X