Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[RESOLVED by magic] broke video support, what now?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED by magic] broke video support, what now?

UPDATE: the 10.04 dist upgrade obviously reinstalled the packages in question (whatever they were) - all video and audio playback is back to normal.

Hi guys,

a few days ago I was trying to get FFMPEG working without actually going through the whole compile-from-source procedure. What I did was read a bunch of suggestions and install a few packages from the standard repositories. In the end I couldn't get FFMPEG to work with the mp3 audio stream of the clip and then I noticed that the entire video playback is borked.

I removed what packages I remembered installing, then I reinstalled all players, codecs and anything with 'xine' in the name for good measure, but nothing helped:
    .mkv files don't play at all
    .avi and other more standard clips are very choppy in Dragon Player or Avidemux and I only get sound in mplayer

I honestly have no idea what other info I could provide. I guess what I need is a list of things I can try (re/un)installing to get things back to their out-of-the-box condition where everything apart from ffmpeg worked fine after I installed the additional (mp3, etc) support.

Any advice is appreciated
Working...
X