X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preferred network connection order

Hello all,

I recently upgraded the router in my home network from an old Netgear 802.11b router to a dual-band Netgear router (WNDR3300). It is set to broadcast on both 2.4 Ghz (802.11g) and 5 Ghz (802.11n), both non-hidden and protected with WPA2-PSK.

I am running the 64-bit 9.10 with KDE 4.4.1 on a Toshiba A205-S4607 with an Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN [Kedron] Network Connection (rev 61)* network card. I am using the normal network manager (I tried switching to wicd - it proved buggy/unstable and annoying, not to mention not accomplishing the goal).

In Vista (I dual-boot), I can set it to scan for - and connect to - the N network first, then scan for and connect to the G network, in order of preference (that is, it'll connect to G if, for some reason, it cannot connect to N). Kubuntu exhibits the opposite behavior; it can see both, but will connect to G rather than to N.

Is there some setting that I'm missing, where it (the network manager) can be set to prefer the N network to the G network?

*output from lspci
    Hardware: Toshiba Satellite A205-S4607<br />OS: Kubuntu 11.10 (KDE 4.7.2), Windows Vista Home Premium (SP 2)
Working...
X