X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless not working after upgrades

Greetings,

This morning I made the jump from Fedora 10 to KUbuntu. I've been with one form of RedHat or another since RH4.0, so it was with a bit of trepidation (and some really good reviews from friends who've gone before me) that I jumped to Ubuntu. The installation went really well and it beautifully preserved my FC10 and XP partitions (not that I use XP much, if ever) and came up like a dream. The desktop took a bit of getting used to, but I was tickled to see that my USB wireless dongle and my USB Bluetooth dongle came up without one bit of fuss and I was right back on my home network with only the the trouble of re-entering my key.

The I made the (obviously hideous) mistake of accepting the upgrades available. Once I rebooted, I attempted to change my wireless IP address back from DHCP to back to its familiar static position on my home network. (This is a desktop machine in a study, far from the wireless hub which is connected to my satellite Internet router.) Instantly, I lost contact with the access point and NOTHING I do seems to be of any use in recontacting it. Thinking quickly, I grabbed a 50' cable and connected hard-wire to the access-point and did a load of research, but nothing was of any use.

Using the network editor, I am unable to save ANY network parameters. All connections want to be DHCP, regardless of what is written in the GUI editor. Manually editing /etc/network/interfaces has zero effect, either. Being unfamiliar with the differences between RH and Ubuntu, I'm a bit at a loss as to why network parameters wouldn't be stored and why they wouldn't be respected when entered in the editor and activated.

The One Big Reason(tm) I wanted Ubuntu to work is that I have a pair of Neoware X terminals (C50 models) that quit working when the bright boys :P in the Fedora development group made a unilateral decision to lobotomize remote X without offering a switch to turn it back on. Being a poor man, dumb X terminals are a lot cheaper than PC's, so I could put a couple around the house for cheap and still enjoy my desktop. With a little research, I found that Ubuntu's gdmsetup still offered the flexibility of turning remote X on so my X terminals would work again.

I hope I can get a little handholding to get past this oddity with the network editor problem, why it won't save parms for either eth0 or wlan0. If it helps (I know someone will ask, even though the radio dongle was working before the upgrade) here is the radio's connection and type:
    Bus 002 Device 005: ID 148f:2573 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT2501USB Wireless Adapter

I look forward to enjoying KUbuntu. So far, it's very easy to work with. I like Adept easily as well as FC10's Add/Remove Software interface. I'm finding my way round the menu system. Many thanks in advance,

Bill
Working...
X