This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replace powernowd with something like powersaved

I know it is likely much too late to implement this in time for Hardy's release (so maybe include it in 8.10 ), but could a hardware throttling daemon - other than powernowd - come installed for use with both monitoring and controlling CPU speed, temperature, fan speed, LCD brightness, etc. on laptops? I've noticed my laptop's GPU fan will run at full speed and become very hot when the AC adapter is unplugged, and today learned the likely culprit is powernowd, which throttles only the CPU speed. So, I tried replacing it with powersaved which supposedly performs the same task as powernowd, as-well-as monitoring/controlling my laptop's battery, temperature, and ac (from the description); it solved my overheating problem, but neither powermanager nor kpowersave could detect my CPU's speed (I believe the daemon depended on a missing module) :P

Anyway, I've reinstalled powernowd and am running OK, but would still really like to see a better daemon implemented in the next release. Is this a good idea?
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )
Working...
X