This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I add a filecheck to persistent bootup? [Self-solved?]

[edit] since 1st writting this post, All of a sudden during boot up in persistent (I've edited out splash and quiet from the flashdrive's /boot/grub/menu.lst) , I see new lines after the one showing loading squashfs by Phillip Lougher, saying

EXT FS on sdb3, internal journal
    EXT-fs: recovery complete.
    EXT-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.

It boots without dropping me to a busybox. I'm wondering how in the world did it start doing a filecheck on itself now? I haven't checked it with a e2fsck from a non-persistent boot yet, so it may still show /dev/sdb3 as uncleanly unmounted, but I think its correcting it on boot up now. I'll check the filesystem after shutdown.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

OK, I just checked and /dev/sdb3 is in fact uncleanly unmounted after persistent session. However I didn't clean it and persistent booted fine however it got to where it does the filecheck after squashfs is loaded I don't know but it works now. The only thing I'm not getting to be persistent is the timezone change. On boot up it keeps coming up with UTC time.

I've done a workaround - instead of changing the timezone I left it on UTC and adjusted the actual clock by (-) 5 hours and it shows right on reboot. Doing a right click on clock -> Adjust Date & Time, and doing nothing changes it back to UTC time. So I'll leave it alone when its right.

"I don't know why I'm even messing around with this. Must be lack of things to do."

OK, now on persistent session shutdown, the (non-quiet) output stopped and froze on kernel panic. I booted gparted but just to the 3rd prompt where I entered 2 (command prompt) and did a e2fsck -y /dev/sdb3 and it corrected the internal journal but didn't retain my time change. I'll try again and if it works this will be the end of this experiment. No added edits will mean it worked.

Weird, it comes up with the new time change and then after a few minutes it reverts to UTC time. I don't know how to stop this or if its even worth working on.

OK, I've tried all I can think of from Menu->System Settings, .... Alt+F2->kcontrol->System Administration->Date & Time->Administrator Mode, .. uncheck set time and date automatically, ... change time on clock, ... change timezone and everytime on reboot it comes up with the new timechange I made on previous boot, but then when wireless connects it must get the time from UTC and changes the clock to reflect UTC time. Oh well.

[original post]
    There was a script in dev/sdb3('casper-rw')/casper/casper that had to be extracted from a .gz file first and then modified and rezipped into a .gz file to replace the original .gz file. I was wondering if anyone might know how to use this method to add a 'e2fsck -p /dev/sdb3' to the startup of persistent 8.04 .

I think the file was initrd.gz that didn't work cause it tried to access the flashdrive as a cdrom or something.
    Also since I have the uncleanly unmounted casper-rw , I'm thinking that an sudo umount at the end would work but since it hasn't been implemented that way maybe its at a time where casper-rw needs to be mounted when shutting down persistent. I'm currently having to manually run an e2fsck on sdb3 between each boot of sdb2 in persistent. I noticed using reiserFS that kubuntu does a filecheck at startup on that filesystem and it ran without having to manually clean it. However reiserFS does slow down the system when it gets larger. ext2 works good except for the unclean umount of casper-rw.
Working...
X