Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HowTwo: disable kssl, kwallet, proxyscout, etc.. on-demand-services if u don't use konqueror, etc..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HowTwo: disable kssl, kwallet, proxyscout, etc.. on-demand-services if u don't use konqueror, etc..

(used kde 3.5.9)

the KDED services + are located in the following folder well at least the .desktop files pointing to them, etc.. (Note: if u use konqueror esp. as a web browser disabling many of these will/may render some sites un-operative such as kssl for ssl sites, cookies for cookie management, etc.. so i suggest disabling these if u don't use konqueror + it is removable via synaptic if u don't want it installed)

Folder:
    /usr/share/services/kded/

open up the desktop files of the ones u want with kate or another editor as root, and find the following:

X-KDE-Kded-load-on-demand=true

and change it to

X-KDE-Kded-load-on-demand=false

Now logout & back-in - if u want of which i recommended is a full reboot to make sure. Now if u go into the services manager they should be gone from view from the main/top load-on-demand services box except for the ones you kept. I also suggest going to the kcontrol settings of konqueror and disabling cookies, etc.. beforehand so u won't have any troubles - even if u remove konqueror from kde.

Q: I don't see X-KDE-Kded-load-on-demand=true in many of these what do I do?
    A: add it as the last line at the bottom.

Q: Does this speed up the system?
    A: It depends - it seemed like it to me on my system esp. after reboot.

Q: Why do this I see a stop button there?
    A: Some of these u need to do this by hand because that Stop button is only for the items shown in the second/bottom box known as startup services.
    Wanna know more about Me and My computer then click here
Working...
X