X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zeroconf can't see other computers

Hi

I'm trying to get zeroconf to work but am having trouble seeing other computers on the network. I haven't set up any services yet, I'm want to make sure both machines can see each other before I go any further with that.

I have a laptop and desktop PC both running Kubuntu Gutsy. Both are totally vanilla installations, not tweaked at all, and kept up to date using Adept updater. Whatever avahi coniguration there is on my machines is what came with Gutsy - I haven't touched it. Only other piece of hardware on the network is the netgear dg834gt adsl router I use to get on the internet, to which both machines are attached. My centrino laptop connects using ipw2200(?) wireless.

My laptop can't see my desktop and vice-versa. They can ping each other using IP addresses, but "ping laptop.local" for example doesn't work. Running mdns-scan on both computers only lists the computer I run the command on - it doesn't list the other Gutsy machine.

I've tried opening port 5353 udp/tcp on my router for incoming & outgoing connections with no effect (presumably this actually has nothing to do with my LAN). Neither machine is running a firewall. Turning UPnP on/off on the router didn't make any difference either.

Anyone got any ideas why my machines can't see each other?

Cheers

Working...
X