This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

laptop PCMCIA network card - network not available

I have a Dell Latitude lapton on which I just loaded up release 7.04. The install seems
    to have gone well except I have no access to my LAN through the ethernet port. When
    I try to "ping 192.168.2.1", I get the error message "connect: Network is unreachable".

I'm fairly sure that it is not a hardware problem because prior to installing 7.04, my
    son was using an older release of Kubuntu and the ethernet interface worked fine.
    I'm using a Xircom CBE2-100 Ethernet II 10/100 PCMCIA card. The ethernet status
    light on dongle is lit.

I did a grep for eth0 in /var/log and here are some of the lines which look like they
    could have some meaning. To me it looks like something is wrong, but I don't know
    what it might be.

daemon.log: ...... NetworkManger: <information>^Ieth0: Driver 'xircom_cb' does not support detection. ^IYou must switch it on manually.
    daemon.log: ...... NewtorkManger: <information>^INow managing wire Ethernet (802.3) device 'eth0'.
    daemon.log: ...... NewtorkManger: <information>^IDeactivating device eth0.
    daemon.log: ...... dhclient: DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 192.168.2.1 port 67]

There were more messages from daemon.log, but they look innocent to me. Unfortuately,
    I have not way to offload the message file from my laptop to my PC so I can't include them
    all here without typing them all in.

Can anyone help with suggestions on what might be wrong?

Jim Anderson
Working...
X