This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WiFi woes solved.

My Belkin USB (RT2500) dongle worked OK in Dapper, intermittently in Edgy ( it was the luck of the draw, on booting up ) and didn't work at all in Feisty. This forced a downgrade back to Edgy, as my PC is two floors above my internet access point.

I solved the problem by buying a Belking 54G Gaming Adaptor - this was set up with my ESSID and security settings to conect to my WIFI modem router.

I set it up using a windoze PC, using the supplied CD - if you don't have a windoze PC, take it round to a friend who does have, to enter the settings - it doesn't install on the PC, you just need to enter the WiFi network connection settings, which are saved into the adaptor ROM. I didn't try, but it may be possible to do the initial set-up from your Linux box.

The adaptor is then connected to the ethernet port on the Linux box, the machine booted up, and goodbye wireless woes forever
    The PC just sees the Adaptor as an ethernet connection.

I only bought the Belkin Adaptor because my modem/router is Belkin - other manufacturers may well produce a similar piece of equipment.

I hope this is helpful - perhaps not ideal for mobile users, but perfect at home, for me.