This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's talk about sound

I just posted a question about sound from the Flash plugin blocking other apps. That got me thinking about sound on Linux in general. I still have issues with sound on Linux, though it's not as bad as it used to be. My biggest issue is that I don't understand how sound works on Linux. More specifically, I have trouble getting apps to share the sound card. For example, when I start VMWare it sometimes disables the virtual sound device for the guest OS if another app (in the host OS) is using sound. That typically happens when one of my buddy's ping me with an IM while I start VMWare. I remember somehow getting multiple apps to share the sound card back when I was running Mepis, though I can't remember the details. I believe I had switched everything off of the Arts soundsystem and was using ALSA directly. I think I may have had some success using artdsp to start Firefox before that.

My point here? I want to open a discussion about what the best approach to sound is for novice/intermediate Linux users. Maybe someone with an indepth understanding can reply and explain some of the details that still confuse me until today. When running KDE, for example, should one use arts/KDE sound system? What's the alternative? What is esd and which is better? Why does my Kubuntu Dapper install appear to be using esddsp to wrap Firefox? (I don't believe esd was an option in Mepis 3.x) Is esd the default sound daemon in Kubuntu? Does arts get re-routed through esd or is it the other way around? would it be better to use the ALSA sink in arts and avoid the use of artsdsp all together? What does all of this mean?

I realize that's a lot of questions (and some of them may not even make sense) but I have no way of understanding the inner workings. I don't need the minute details (at least not yet), just the high level concepts. I'm so confused with Linux sound (and with the ATI drivers too but that's another topic in another thread). Thanx in advance!

Cliff
    Tell me what's up...
    http://codeforfun.wordpress.com
Working...
X