X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 6.10 and Linksys WPC11 v3

Hello everyone,

I'm a veteran Windows user (15+ years) and have recently decided to take the plunge into Linux. I was quite impressed by what I read about Kubuntu, so that's what I installed.

Here's my issue: I have serached high and low on the net, this forum, other forums and Linksys' site...I haven't found an install for dummies. Every post I have found where someone says "newbie needs help", I think, "Great, they must be in the same boat as me!", but as I read further into the post, they end up sounding like they've been on Linux half their life.

I truly AM A NEWBIE. I am very familiar with Windows and general hardware config, but after so many years, trying to switch to Linux unguided and on my own, is not an easy task. I'm not sure I would even find what I'm looking for in a book. Ok, enough of the sob story.

I have downloaded the Linux drivers for the WPC11 v3 PCMCIA card and it's on my laptop. I have literally no clue what to do next. It's not like double-clicking an .exe file or just trying plug and play. This was the closest I came to finding instructions in PLAIN ENGLISH. Even after trying this from Linksys, I get an error at this step and cannot go further:

"pcmcia-cs source dir [/usr/src/pcmcia-cs-3.1.XX]:" by default this should be where your card services are located, if it's located in a different place please input the path. Else hit Enter"
    Does anyone have a clear set of how-to that could be understood by someone who doesn't eat, sleep and breathe Linux? I am REALLY wanting to make a transition and I've liked what I've seen so far, but the frustrations are getting the best of me.
Working...
X