X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chimak111
    replied
    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post417425 works for me so far.

Leave a comment:

• GreyGeek
    replied
    USB Drives Give Malformed URL From Device Notifier

You correctly identified your problems: “I”

If you’ve browsed other posts you’ll notice that others have included images and URL links in their posts. Rather than immediately assuming that the forum software is at fault, perhaps you should just ask how to do it.

Here’s how: Left click on the “Advanced” button at the lower right corner of the message entry box. After that larger, more elaborate entry box appears scroll to the bottom and Left Click on the “Manage Image” button. From there the steps should be obvious.
    After you’ve entered all the images you want to display scroll up to the message entry box and enter your message. Place the cursor where you want to put an image and left click the attachment icon in the collection of icons at the top margin of the entry box. Select the image you want to place by Left clicking on it. Note: giving image descriptive names makes it easier.

Oh, you can’t mount a device a second time after you’ve already mounted it or you have automount installed. And, you can’t mount a device from your home account if you do not have permission for it. And, see my post above.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Jul 07, 2018, 05:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• daemon
    replied
    I have the same error when I mount a drive from either the Device Notifier panel or the Dolphin. Also on my actual PC and on a couple of VirtualBox installations I tried so far. I am on KDE Plasma 5.12.5.

Mount through Dolphin
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bT...GUuR3sVr8gemPB

Mount through Device Notifier
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1K9...Kg336tW-JBjcIr

I was hopping that this would be fixed before 18.04.1 in July but I now I am losing hope. It is a shame.

BTW this is my first post here. This forum is tragic. Starting with the 90s registration process. I had to find a valid username, repeat the password, repeat the email and fill a bunch of other fields. Then after I activated the account it would not accept the password and had to reset it. And after all this hassle I come here to post a message and I can't upload an image. Fine, I host it on my google drive but then I can't even add a freakin hyperlink properly. Please take this as constructive criticism. My point is to improve.

Leave a comment:

• kilgoretrout
    replied
    Just a quick update on my prior posts. Kubuntu 18.04 has updated to plasma 5.12.5 but the usb mounting/malformed url problem persists. Arch, OpenSuse(Leap and Tumbleweed) and Neon are all currently using plasma 5.12.5. Both Arch and OpenSuse have no issues with mounting usb drives that I can detect. Neon doesn't give the malformed url error when mounting but Dolphin will not open after making that selection in Notifier. If you open Dolphin on your own, the usb drive is mounted and accessible. So it appears that Kubuntu 18.04 just suppresses the malformed url error message without correcting the underlying problem.

One big exception to the above: on all the above distros, usb drives that are luks encrypted do not mount properly. When you connect such a drive, your are prompted for the password just like under kde4. After entering the password, Notifier comes down and informs you that you are not authorized to mount the drive. However, if you open Dolphin, the encrypted drive is mounted and accessible.

Leave a comment:

• GreyGeek
    replied
    One workaround till the bug is patched:
    https://github.com/storaged-project/...ment-381397218
    If I tell KDE to mount only, and open the folder ~2 seconds later, everything works as it should.

Leave a comment:

• CharlieDaves
    replied
    Originally posted by stratacast View Post
    Hello, returning Kubuntu user, I thought I'd pipe in and say I've had this issue since day 1 too, and thought I'd chime in and say you're not alone waiting for 5.12.5, already have it on Fedora 28 on my other box. I have the same problem with clicking on links some of the time as well. For example, links in the Atom text editor
    I've been having this problem since re-installing Kubuntu 18.04 several days ago. I am using Plasma v5.2.15 and it is still occurring. My system is "up to date". Anything else I should be checking?

Leave a comment:

• stratacast
    replied
    Hello, returning Kubuntu user, I thought I'd pipe in and say I've had this issue since day 1 too, and thought I'd chime in and say you're not alone waiting for 5.12.5, already have it on Fedora 28 on my other box. I have the same problem with clicking on links some of the time as well. For example, links in the Atom text editor

Leave a comment:

• GreyGeek
    replied
    Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
    But that's just the KDE/Plasma part, The actual distro is not a rolling release.
    Ah, you're right. The definition appears to have changed since I last looked it up... I'll have to be more careful. Consult my sig.
    Is it a rolling distro? ��

Not quite, it's a package archive with the latest KDE software on top of a stable base. Unlike rolling distros only the KDE software will be updated continuously.

Leave a comment:

• SpecialEd
    replied
    Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
    >>>>>>>

However, Neon is a rolling release !
    But that's just the KDE/Plasma part, The actual distro is not a rolling release.

Leave a comment:

• GreyGeek
    replied
    I don't know when KDE Neon User Edition using 18.04 will come out, but my policy is to never upgrade, always do a fresh install.

However, Neon is a rolling release and I do not know if that will include rolling up to 18.04. If it is a rolling upgrade as well I will try it out of curiosity. I will save my latest snapshots to make it easy to restore SageMath and my dozen or so AppImage installations. If I am forced to do a fresh install the snapshot will make updating those apps easy. My recommendation is that you wait until the 18.04 version comes out. Meanwhile, read Oshunluvr's posts on using Btrfs on this forum.

If you decide to go with Neon 16.04 it will be good till 2021. The 18.04 release EOL is 2023. Five years from now I'll be 81. By that time I don't know if I'll be able to run a computer, , so 2023 will be a good EOL, if this six year old Acer can last another 5 years. IF not, then my laptop running days are over. But, I can't complain. I've had a great run!
    Last edited by GreyGeek; May 21, 2018, 06:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• YAFU linux
    replied
    @GreyGeek @oshunluvr , Thanks you.

I have been a Linux and Kubuntu user for many years, I'm not really interested in creating snapshots. I also always have a couple others Linux installations just in case. But I will investigate about the current state of Btrfs. A few years ago I was waiting for Btrfs to finally support compression because I had a low capacity hard drive. Then I bought a larger hard drive and did not become interested in Btrfs again. So it's a good opportunity to finally try Btrfs and at the same time KDE neon.
    Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• oshunluvr
    replied
    Originally posted by YAFU linux View Post
    I was thinking about trying Neon user edition. Do you know if it is possible to add Neon repository to Kubuntu 18.04 without having serious packages conflicts?
    Possible, but not advised. Early on in KDEneon doing this caused breakage. Now? Maybe not. As GG said, if you're using btrfs just snapshot and try it. Otherwise, be prepared to restore a backup. However, today, I don't think there is any reason to jump the KDEneon this way. The real advantage (IMO) of KDEneon was having a solid 16.04 LTS core while still getting the latest-and-greatest Plasma updates. I think at this moment, Kubuntu 18.04 is ahead of KDEneon in many ways. Switching to KDEneon woudl actually be a backwards move.

BTW, I'm noticing the same USB issue as you when I boot to Kubuntu 18.04. Honestly, I don't switch to the new release for daily use until all the show-stoppers are gone. I'm hoping the new KDEneon comes out soon so I can compare it and switch to either of those choices in the coming months.

I also need to upgrade my server this year, but there's no desktop on that so it's just a matter of when I have time.

Leave a comment:

• GreyGeek
    replied
    There be alligators in that swamp for those who lack the technical skill to carry it off. Personally, I'd never do it.

IF you decide to install KDE Neon User Edition I recommend that during the install you delete all partitions on your drive and create one partition, sda1, and use Btrfs as the root file system and "/" as the designation. During the install Btrfs will create @ and @home, two subvolumes that are essentially partitions. After installation you can make other partitions if you wish, such as @opt or @data, and bind them in fstab to what ever normal directory name they'd have, like /opt in the case of @opt, or /data in the case of @data.

Then, before you do an update or make any other significant changes that might blow up on you and be hard to reverse, you can create snapshots of @ and @home, or what ever), which takes just a couple seconds. If things work out well you can delete the snapshots. If they work out poorly, rather than taking hours or days to repair the problems you can rollback to the saved snapshots and reboot, restoring your system to what it was before your experiments or upgrades began.

Personally, I will NEVER run any Linux system that doesn't offer Btrfs as a choice for the root file system, that's how powerful it is.

Leave a comment:

• YAFU linux
    replied
    Hi.
    @claydoh, That PPA does not yet include the fix to this problem.

@GreyGeek, I was thinking about trying Neon user edition. Do you know if it is possible to add Neon repository to Kubuntu 18.04 without having serious packages conflicts?

Leave a comment:

• GreyGeek
    replied
    I only tried Bionic to see how it compared to 16.04. Very favorably, I should add.
    Bionic -- stable edge KDE
    Neon User Edition -- leading edge KDE
    Neon Dev Edition -- bleeding edge KDE
    When I was done playing with it I reverted back to Neon User Edition.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X