Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steam crashes the system if running on dedicated gpu AMD Rx540 without big picture

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steam crashes the system if running on dedicated gpu AMD Rx540 without big picture

I have Kubuntu 17.10 on an Acer laptop (Aspire A515-41G-19BF) with hybrid graphics: an integrated AMD Radeon R7 and a dedicated AMD Rx 540 with 2gb ddr5. If I run Steam with the integrated graphics, it works. If I run it with the command
    Code:
    DRI_PRIME=1 steam
    to use the dedicated graphics card (or if I choose "run on discrete graphics card" after right-clicking on Steam in the KDE start menu), it works for some 30 seconds and then it freezes the whole pc. The mouse doesn't work anymore, the touchpad moves the pointer but can't click, nothing moves on the screen, and after a minute even the touchpad doesn't work. You can hear the fan moving and nothing else. The only thing to do is disconnecting the power. During the 30 seconds I can access the Steam system information and it correctly shows the Rx 540.

This happens with Steam in normal mode, as a window, while Steam in big picture mode (=full screen) perfectly works with the Rx 540. So I have to start it with
    Code:
    DRI_PRIME=1 steam -bigpicture
    and it works. I can even minimize the big picture and still works. The first time the default resolution was 1066x600 and I had to manually change it from the Steam settings. It said 1366x768 (that's my monitor resolution) would have bad performance because my graphics memory is only 244 MB, but it's actually 2 GB and it says 2 GB in the system information tab inside Steam, in big picture mode as well. I set 1366x768 and I don't have bad performance at all.

I tried installing the drivers from the Oibaf ppa, nothing changes.

So, if the big picture mode works and the normal mode doesn't, I guess it's KDE's fault. If it's really necessary I can try to give you the "error.log" file after trying to start it in normal mode, but this would mean that I have to shutdown my pc by disconnecting the power again. Do I have to report a bug to KDE? Or to Steam?

I haven't tried to play a game yet. I'd like to try something without spending money first, maybe a demo (I'm afraid I have to reinstall the oibaf ppa to make games work)
Working...
X