This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IPv6 on Xenial

I've been usiing SIXXS's tunnel for several years. It uses the aiccu driver, which is in the repository, and is drop dead easy to set up. On ipv6-test.com it gives me 20/20 with fallback to IPv4.

However, they posted notice that they are not accepting new applications and will be phasing out their tunnel services, which are free. Their goal was as a temporary IPv6 solution until ISP's supplied IPv6 native connections. They advised users to talk with their ISP to determine its IPv6 availability. I did that with TimeWarner and learned that while they CLAIM they have 96% IPv6 coverage it turns out that Lincoln is in that 4% and they have a "the check is in the mail" response to when Lincoln's neb.rr.com servers will be IPv6 compliant. I note with satisfaction that a new ISP, Allo, is laying fiber optic for 100Mb IPv6 capable connections for the same price that TW charges me for my 30Mb connection. Sometime this fall, hopefully.

I used "sudo service aiccu stop" to disable SIXXS's tunnel.

I then went to Hurricane Electric. I registered and created a tunnel. Drop dead easy. The only problem was that I could not "ping6 google.com" or any other IPv6 website and get an ping echo. All IPv6 sites are unreachable. So, I decided to log into HE's forum and ask a question. My tunnel login credentials were refused. An email to their info address got the response that it was a "security" measure and I needed to pass a certification quiz to be able to post questions. I jumped through that ridiculously easy quiz and then attempted to log into the forum and was rejected again! Without saying so apparently I need more than a "newbie" certification. So, I went to the next certification level. It required that I have an IPv6 ready desktop and an IPv6 ready website! What? I need what HE's tunnel is not giving me? Catch-22. I deleted my HE tunnel and removed my account.

During my searches I saw a mention of miredo, which creates a teredo tunnel, and recalled that it was the first IPv6 tunnel that I ever created. It is in Xenial's repository so I installed it. An IPv6 tunnel was immediately set and and was active. Ipv6-test.com gave the tunnel an 11/20 rating. Fallback was not active. But the tunnel works. The https://www.terena.org/webcam/ website used my new IPv6 tunnel to send me 702HD video at 2980 Kbits/sec. I'm happy for now. I'll putz around and try to get it to 20/20.

EDIT:
    I added
    sudo ufw allow from <my teredo IPv4 addr> proto ipv6
    to the ufw rules and also edited the NetworkManager entries created by miredo to add the IPv6 DNS numbers for Google's IPv6 DNS, but those rules won't stay, so DNS is sketchy. However, all in all, it is working OK. My "Quality" of connection varies between 14 and 17 on ipv6-test.com, as my activity and use of IPv6 varies. That is due to my Linksys E2500 router, which has DD-WRT on it. The version of DD-WRT on my router does not support IPv6 so I can't turn off suppression of the IPv6 ping. If the three items left on the "todo" list all are controlled by my IPS, TW, which isn't serving IPv6 to residents in my area.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	teredo_performance.png
Views:	1
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	649124
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Jul 21, 2016, 03:05 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.
Working...
X