This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driver OpenGL Settings Not Saving and/or Reverting on Reboot

I'm having an odd issue with my proprietary NVIDIA graphics driver.

I have an old NV50 generation graphics card built into my motherboard. It's no longer officially supported with new features and even when it was, the latest drivers couldn't render anything properly for years and cause the system to lock up. Installing it would mean that I would have to reinstall Kubuntu again. As a stopgap, I've been using the old 304.128 (updates) legacy driver. I installed it via Kubuntu's driver manager. It's holding me over until I can buy an AMD card that's performant for games while using the open driver.

Anyway, to help compensate for using such an old driver I always set the OpenGL setting in the config to High Performance. This time, it's not working. I move the sliding bar over to High Performance and even explicitly save it for good measure. Just to be extra, extra sure, I did the same by opening the settings as root, too. Each time is the same though. It has no impact on the performance of my system. When I reboot and reload NVIDIA's driver settings, the slider is back to quality as if I had never changed it. Oddly, the bar does stay in place if I close the settings and reopen it. It only appears to revert if I reboot, however, it's still not changing the performance.

How can I work around this? I imagine that there's a file somewhere where I have to type or change a string or boolean. If so, what file is it and what do I put in it? Also, if the problem is the settings being reverted upon reboot, how can i prevent that from happening?

PS. I don't know if this helps understand the problem, but hardware acceleration does not seem to be working very well at all. Even web browsing with 3-4 tabs is almost too taxing for the CPU now because it seems to be doing everything. It wasn't that way on Kubuntu 14.10 (still with the legacy NVIDIA blob.) I could play halfway demanding games on it. Let me know if you think there may be a deeper problem.
    Last edited by Prescience500; Oct 25, 2015, 11:53 PM.
Working...
X