This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installation failed with extra hard disk and encryption

I recently installed Trusty Tahr on my workstation, which has two hard drives installed.
    I chose to install kubuntu on one of the hard drives, with full disk encryption on this disk, and additionally home directory encryption (maybe a bit overkill ;-). (The other disk is unencrypted because it doesn't have any sensitive data, and access speed is more important.)

I noticed two problems during/after installation:

1) The installation stalled at about 70%; I believe that was when the system tried to mount the other hard drive or somethign like that. I tried this three times and it was always the same.

I was finally successful after physically disconnecting the second drive and reconnecting it after the installation completed.

2) The isntallation process did not set up a swap partition. I believe, the installer should set up an encrypted swap partition, and there is an entry to that effect in my /etc/fstab ('/dev/mapper/cryptswap1'), but there is no swap partition, and top and other utilities did not detect any swap space.

A workaround is to create a swap file, which works fine, except that I have not been able to get hibernation working with that (I've basically given up on that - there are bug reports about that, eg. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/1309787).

I'm just posting this here in case someone else has the same problems... or someone has a better solution to the second problem.

Chopstick
Working...
X