X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• millusions
    replied
    hi,

normally, before putting samba shares in fstab i do manual mounts/browses...
    as in this example: mount -t cifs -o username=server_user,password=secret //192.168.44.100/share /path_to/mount

see if that works for u

i cant remember the other commands, but its using smbclient program
    man smbclient

it will allow u to browse local network from command line

Leave a comment:

• okie2003
    started a topic Cannot Mount or Access USB storage on router

Cannot Mount or Access USB storage on router

I am basically running 14.04 on one machine and 12.04 on another (soon to be upgraded to 14.04). I have an Asus RT-N66U router that I have configured as an access point in one building which is wire networked to a DSL modem/router in another building. I want to attach a USB drive to the Asus router and share files across the network. I have booted into a native Windows 7 install on one of the computers and I can see the files on the drive. However, in Linux the drive will not mount. I have tried different configurations in my fstab file but to no effect.

rob@rob-Latitude-E6510:~$ sudo mount -a
    [sudo] password for rob:
    mount error(13): Permission denied
    Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)
    rob@rob-Latitude-E6510:~$ ^C
    rob@rob-Latitude-E6510:~$

On the 12.04 install I have created a folder or directory /media/ElementsUSB. I currently have in my fstab file this entry:
    //192.168.123.91/RT-N66U-8060/ /media/ElementsUSB/ cifs guest,uid=rob,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mo de=0777,noperm 0 0

192.168.123.91 is the static IP address of the Asus router/access point. RT-N66U-8060 is the device name listed in the routers samba share tab. It was also what showed up in Windows, so I think it is right. But the tree under both the samba share tab and the FTP share tab shows RMBC_2 (router name) > RT-N66U-8060 > WD 10EAVS External > Data_USB (which is a directory on the USB drive).

In Firefox ftp://192.168.123.91/Data_USB/Users/Public/Documents/ shows directories, but I cannot open the files. I get the error message: “550 Failed to change directory”.

I have looked over the forums and searched a bit, but I know just enough to be dangerous without figuring this out. Any solutions or direction would be appreciated.
Working...
X