This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kgpg: No passphrase requested when creating new key

I'm using Kleopatra to create a new Kgpg key pair. I get "Certificate created successfully" and a Fingerprint 40 characters long. I chose "Make a backup of your key pair" and did NOT yet choose to upload the certificate to a server. The next step is "Finish," and the new one shows in "My Certificates" list. Using it in Kleopatra, I was able to encrypt a small text file, then decrypt it using Kgpg without entering any passphrase. (I had previously used Kgpg, with an older existing key pair, to decrypt something, and did have to enter that key's passphrase. Is it retained during the session? Was it used successfully with the new key?)

Why did the process of creating the new certificate and key pair not ask for the creation of a passphrase?

This sure puzzles me. The Kgpg Tutorial has, as one of its earliest steps, advice about creating and entering a good passphrase. I was never even asked for one.

PS: I found a "Change Passphrase" option (right-click on the certificate), but with either the new one or any of my old ones get "An error occurred... Not Supported."
    Last edited by werdigo49; Sep 16, 2013, 06:47 PM.
    -- Werdigo49
    Registered Linux User #291592
    Kubuntu Xenial Xerus (16.04)
Working...
X