X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• elder73
    replied
    Thank you Vinny, it is nice to know that it is fixable.

No there is no auto login. When I choose Kubuntu on Grub it goes to the login screen, needing user and password.

Leave a comment:

• vinnywright
    replied
    Originally posted by elder73 View Post
    This all started with me wanting to mount Windows and found the following site:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fstab

Reading through it I came to the following. It was from Ubuntu so I thought the following would probably work:

"ntfs
    This example is perfect for a Windows partition.

/dev/hda2 /media/windows ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.utf8 0 0"

The above is a verbatim clip and so I took them at their word, and I think I wrote it to Fstab with Knotes as sudo.

Thank you all, I hope this helps.
    that is just a generic line,,,,,,you would half to change "/dev/hda2" to the location of the actual NTFS partition on your system and make the mount point "/media/windows" .

you have probably messed up the permissions in your /home/you directory(folder) by using a GUI app. as root with sudo instead of kdesudo .

all this is fixable however.

is your system set to auto login after grub ?

VINNY

Leave a comment:

• elder73
    replied
    This all started with me wanting to mount Windows and found the following site:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fstab

Reading through it I came to the following. It was from Ubuntu so I thought the following would probably work:

"ntfs
    This example is perfect for a Windows partition.

/dev/hda2 /media/windows ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.utf8 0 0"

The above is a verbatim clip and so I took them at their word, and I think I wrote it to Fstab with Knotes as sudo.

Thank you all, I hope this helps.

Leave a comment:

• Buddlespit
    replied
    Could you copy and paste the offending /etc/fstab?

Leave a comment:

• vinnywright
    replied
    what was the change you made to the /etc/fstab and maby more important how did you make the change to it in the first place ?

VINNY

Leave a comment:

• elder73
    started a topic A problem with my /etc/fstab file

A problem with my /etc/fstab file

Wanting to mount Windows I made a change to my /etc/fstab file and now Grub loader will not load Kubuntu. I just brings up a screen with Kubuntu on it but that is as far as it goes.

Restarting and selecting the choices on Grub, I got through to the root prompt.

Thinking I had everything in hand I loaded nano thus: nano /etc/fstab This brought up the fstab file and I could remove the offending line, The only problem is I am prevented from saving the change. So fstab remains unchanged and I am left knocking on Kubuntu's door but it wont let me in.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Working...
X