This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

three for three on precise upgrades ;-)

Upgraded my desktop, laptop and netbook from Oneiric to Precise yesterday. Things went just swimmingly other than one niggling issue on my laptop where Intel renamed their wireless driver *again* and I had to go chase down the little config file that keeps my wireless LED from blinking constantly and fix it.

I have my own process for upgrading that works for me - I've used it a couple of times now and it works pretty well though when I've got a few PPAs enabled so I figured I'd share. I log out of X and log in to a console, then

Code:
    sudo -i

sed -i 's/oneiric/precise/g' /etc/apt/sources.list

find /etc/apt/sources.list.d -type f -exec sed -i 's/oneiric/precise/g' {} \;

apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
    Works great. The only real issue I had is an error message because kubuntu-ppa/backports isn't stood up yet so apt is ignoring that ppa but everything worked well. I do wait a couple weeks after release to give the PPAs I use a chance to get online, though.

BTW, if anybody's got an Intel wireless card and is irritated by the blinking WLAN LED (Intel says wontfix because it's a feature) you can make that stop by creating a text file in /etc/modprobe.d (I call mine wlan.conf) and add the following text:

Code:
    options iwlwifi led_mode=1
    Save and reboot or reload the WLAN driver. Note this only works for Precise - in Oneiric the config is the same but the WLAN driver is named iwlagn. Before Oneiric it was named something else but I can't remember what it was

edit: A note for GG - once again, wicd-curses worked great for laptop and netbook
    Last edited by wizard10000; May 07, 2012, 03:53 AM.
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin
Working...
X