Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cannot use KDE Task Scheduler on netbook - safe to copy crontabs???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cannot use KDE Task Scheduler on netbook - safe to copy crontabs???

I have just succeeded in using the KDE Task Scheduler addon to System Settings to set up a cron run of little bash script I wrote to check periodically for updates to a program that I need that is undergoing fast development. The whole process works great, and now I want to transfer it to my netbook, so it too can stay updated.

Big problem, due to little screen. The modal window in which one accesses the Task Scheduler is too tall for my little HP mini netbook screen. I cannot see the bottom of the window and thus cannot conclude the task setup. It's maddening. I see no easy fix.

So, I'm thinking that if I could just copy the stuff in /var/spool/cron/crontabs to my netbook, the cron there would pick it up and all would be well. But, I don't want to screw up some system thing, after it took me a day and a half to restore from an upgrade disaster which happened 2 days ago.

So, can anyone advise me if my crontab copy scheme is safe to do? It'd also be nice if anyone can tell if it will work, but I can find that out myself. I just don't want to do some little thing that has huge bad consequences (not again this week, anyway!).

Any thoughts on this would be gratefully received.

UPDATE: OK, I really set up the crontab file the old way, without the Task Scheduler. And I will, if I have no other choice. I'd like like to be able to set it up on my desktop with this quick addon, then copy it over and be done. So...I'll watch for a reply.
Working...
X