X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[bypassed] corrupt (?) installation of 11.10

Hello all,

I upgraded to 11.10 today, and after rebooting the pc hangs in the five blue/white dots screen. Here are some details:

I restarted and pressed Esc during startup to see error messages. The bootup stops at the state of clamav asking for updates. database older that 7 days, please update asap...

I restarted in recovery mode, shell prompt. Typed login (username+passwd), and got some messages saying:
    Code:
    cannot create /var/lib/update-notifier/update-motd-fsck-at-reboot 66: cannot...

Read-only file system

Typed startx and it fails again
    Code:
    Could not create lock file in /tmp/.tX0-lock

Please consult the X.org foundation support...
    Attempting to run kdm, says again read only file system and gives the error that startx did.

What is "read only file system' supposed to mean? I dont have write access to my / partition?

Any ideas about all this?

I got a seperate home partition, would it be safer/easier to do a clean install in the / partition?

thnx in advance

EDIT: I ran fsck from shell promprt, said something about wine, but it couldn't connect to the internet for updates/fixes. No other error given by fsck...

EDIT 2: I grew impatient and did a fresh install. Specified home partition during installation and I got almost everything as it was before.
Working...
X