X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems copying to USB devices

Hello there!

I've been using Kubuntu Natty for a couple of months now and have to say it's probably the best distro I've used in three years, absolutely delighted with it, but for one thing. - USB transfers.

It seems that every time I transfer something the little notification doodad on the taskbar completes almost instantly or within a few seconds, either way FAR quicker that I would expect given the size of the file, but the light on the USB device will continue to flash as it's being written to. Now I can watch for this behaviour and see when the light goes out and know my files have been transferred totally and it's only a little annoying, but when transferring files to my phone (Google/Samsung Nexus S) it's just blind luck whether they get there or not as I have no way of telling.

I copied half a dozen albums over earlier, the notification completes in about 10 seconds but I leave it plugged in for a few minutes. I click on the Device Notifier and got to unmount it, get a spinning circle for about 30 seconds then it tells me that "could not unmount as files are open elsewhere" or something. They're not because nothing else was open so I guess it was still transferring them.

I had this before on OpenSuse 11.3 (KDE also) whilst USB transfers using the same phone/stick/laptop are fine under Windows/Ubuntu/Fedora (GNOME). Googling doesn't seem to yield much on this, anyone have any ideas?
Working...
X