Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Natty distribution upgrade hangs black tty2 login no screens found.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Natty distribution upgrade hangs black tty2 login no screens found.

This is not a "problem" for me, my installation is great, but I got the distribution upgrade thing so thought what the hey, grins and giggles time.

So I did the GUI upgrade from Kpackage kit and later did the "terminal upgrade".

I also went back reinstalled, did the latest updates and again did the distribution upgrade and again got the same results.

i've seen this before only not with an upgrade. It usually a "video card thing".

The machine is an AMD 64 bit, 2 gig ram.

I have three video cards that I play with all Nvidia, PCI express.

6600, 8600 and 9500.

Distros usually have "problems" with the 0600 but maveric did not, it just purred through things, I did have to install the latest driver but no biggie.

What I get in this case is the dreaded black tty2 screen. With other distros it is the black tty1 screen.

What i get is the tty1 screen and a login for woodsmoke.

I log in and then I get "screen not found". It knows that it is looking for an Nvidia card, it even says that it is there "usually" and then it says...sorry....no screens found, and then I am at the prompt.

If I do startx again, it says no screens found. I can do ctrl alt del and startx again, and all that happens is i get back into the loop.,

So... then start going down the cards, and almost always the 6600 card is recognized. I then run the dirver installer and then can go "up" the cards and things are fine.

This happens btw with both the analog plug and the digital plug.

So....like I said, this is no biggie to me....but it "may" be at least ONE of the reasons why people download the distro, never say a word and don't come back.

So...if anybody can give me the CLI commands at the prompt to resolve this maybe we can retitle the thread as a "how to" and get some more people on board...or not!

And, it may be that there is no easy answer.

Again, this is for rumination of folks if anyone has some advice we could play with it, all I have to do is plug and unplug drives.

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!
Working...
X