X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black screen on boot. [Ati Radeon graphics problem] FIXED

Hello everyone!

My graphics card is an ATI Radeon Hd 6310, which I know it has many support problems.
    So I made a fresh install of Kubuntu 11.10 alternate (text install) because I knew that I had to configure the graphics after the installation or my pc would have problems booting the live CD.

Installation went fine.
    Next thing I had a black screen on boot. I tried Ctrl+alt+f1 but it didn't work, the thing had crashed.

[I have to add that I've had that same problem on all Ubuntu based systems that I have tried, and Fedora isn't much of my taste.]

So then I tried deleting "quiet splash" from the grub options and adding "nomodeset", it crashed again.
    Then I tried going to recovery mode, I edited the Sources.list and added Canonical repositories.
    I tried running apt-get update so I could install fglrx and fglrx-amdcccle as I saw it worked in some post...

But then I ran into a brick wall again, it told me it couldn't fetch the files so I couldn't install the drivers.

My specs are:
    AMD-E350 Processor Dual core.
    Lenovo Mainboard and Bios.
    Amd chipset.
    2Gb DDR3 RAM
    Ati Radeon Hd 6310 256mb [the rotten apple]

[Solution]

I made a lot of research from other posts and found the solution. It should work in ANY Ubuntu based system.

First, you have to go into recovery mode. Then select "remount", after that, select netroot, or root. Either one is fine.

Second step is uninstalling the radeon drivers, run in command-promt

Code:
    apt-get remove xserver-xorg-video-radeon
    It will ask you if you want to remove 3 modules. press Y

Step three: what we have done until now is uninstalling the radeon drivers which are causing the crash.
    Now we only have to reboot and edit the grub options. We are going to delete the part that says "quiet splash" and put
    Code:
    nomodeset
    System will boot low-resolution graphics.

Now we may repeat the third step each time we boot, or we may add it to the grub settings.
    Another option is to install your prefered closed source / open source drivers to get better resolution results.

But to this point this should get you at least a GUI on most ubuntu distros if you are having troubles with
    ATI Radeon graphic cards.

I hope this can help someone having the same problem I did!
    Goodluck!
Working...
X