This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] First problem with a Lucid Lynx update

Yesterday I got an update notification from Lucid and ran it. I continued to use this computer until I shut down last night.

This morning the boot up process appeared to hang trying to create the xserver and gave me an unresponsive black screen and mouse. I did a Ctrl+Alt+del, which forced a reboot. Same problem. On the next boot I held the Shift key down to get the Grub2 menu.
    I noticed that the 2.6.32-22 Linux kernel was now the default. I also had the 32-18 through 32-22 kernels available on the Grub menu. I chose the recovery setting for the 32-22 kernel. On the blue and red console menu I chose "continue with the boot". The process stopped at a CLI login prompt. I logged in as myself. Then I issued
    sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start
    and the KDE4.4.2 desktop came up.

Using Synaptic I removed the 32.018 kernel and related files and then from a Konsole issued
    update-grub2

When it was done I rebooted.

My system now comes up normally. I suspect it wasn't an xserver issue but a grub issue.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.
Working...
X