This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu Trinity Lucid from May 2010, Nvidia 9500, GLX, Cairo dock

I fiddled with this before but didn't have good luck getting it to install/run/something, don't remember, too many rum 'n cokes!

However, a few weeks ago I installed it and tweaked it a little, the critical thing was running it with an nVidia 9500 GT card.

Using the advice from folks here for running Kolourpaint from terminal allows me to use that critical application while using GLX drivers.

Koffice is just VERY responsive, as is, also Open Office which I use intensively.

After confirming that I am able, indeed, to run Kolourpaint reliably, I added Cairodock and it also runs very nicely.

The semi-transparency of documents allows me to easily view things like "correct answers" when I am grading papers that are overlaying the answer document.

I am not using, at present, the cube but may in the future.

Cairodock gives me very quick access to other applications that I dock there.

The "classic' menu as opposed to a "plasma" menu has not given any problems at all, whereas sometimes I got a crash with Plasma, although plasma, did, indeed recover from the crash all but two times.

The "dual bar" lower panel has proven surprisingly helpful also in that I can really cram the documents on with say Kwrite in the upper "bar" and Kspread in the lower.

I've rather "jumped" from one kind of desktop to another, such as compiz at first, the "folders" of the plasma Kubuntu and now this and have not really settled in my mind which is most efficient for me.

However, I will now make one comment. It seems to me that Trinity is a very workable desktop for Kubuntu.

If anybody else has comments on this I would appreciate reading them.

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!
Working...
X