X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Netgear WNDA3100.v2: Help Getting Wifi Working

Greetings everyone.

I've been using Linux some but still a bit of a noob in the field, and mostly Kubuntu in particular. But, my problem I'm having is that I just recently installed Kubuntu 14.04 64bit to a computer I built and I'm trying to get my WiFi adapter working for it. It's, like the title says, a Netgear WNDA3100.v2. Now the thing here is I can connect to the internet only by WiFi since the area I'm at has no hardline cable like DSL or fiber optics, other then phone line. So the adapter is mostly the only way. I'm currently using Windows on another PC for my online capability and transferring files to each other via flash drive and RW DVD.

Now the thing is, Kubuntu says that ndiswrapper is not installed. So, I downloaded the files for ndiswrapper and WINE to get things started. I tried to install directly from the code from the downloaded .tar files, but I can't seem to figure out how to even get the codes from within to install nor if those are enough to run the adapter. I don't think I can without internet.

If someone can spare the time to assisted me in my situation or point to a reference, it would be very appreciated. If any additional info is needed that is necessary to helping me, I'll post it as quick as I can.

Thanks to anyone that replies.

Here is a how to http://www.iheartubuntu.com/2010/10/...in-ubuntu.html but it requires you to be connected by ethernet to download the packages. It appears that you downloaded the source code files, but to compile and install these, you need to also download the compilers, etc. Instead, you could manually download the individual deb files and install them, but you will probably need to download a lot of dependencies.

The simplest approach would be to find somebody who does have an ethernet connection, maybe at a friends house. If they have wifi at their house, their router should still have an ethernet port. Or borrow somebody's usb wifi that is known to work with linux and then install the software in the tutorial and install it for your usb wifi.

Not much help, I know, but unless you can connect to the internet, you won't be able to download the software you need to make your adapter work.

Comment

Was afraid of that. The nearest friend of mine lives a couple a counties away. Though may see if I can stop by. May also see if the people around me will allow me to use their ethernet. May get a lot of noes and slammed doors.

Thanks for the reply and help. I'll continue on my endeavors. Also, if you or anyone also know anymore sources like E-books, websites and stuff to help me understand more about Kubuntu and installing source code like I'm doing, since still being somewhat new to Linux. That would be very appreciated.

Also, don't know whether this would be counted as solved. But I'll keep it as is, till otherwise.

Comment

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...er/Ndiswrapper

Note that this is a bit old, I don't think that the packages are on the install image anymore, and the guide only goes to 12.20. However it does tell you the names of the packages you need:
        http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/ndiswrapper-common
        http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/ndiswrapper-utils-1.9
        there also is a gui program, ndisgtk, but in Kubuntu it likely will need a lot of missing dependencies that need to be tracked down.
        http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/ndisgtk

All you need to grab are the first two, and a variety of windows driver files which you probably can find on your windows install, following the instructions given.

If you have a smartphone, you might also be able to tether to that via usb for a quick internet connection.

Where does your wifi come from? Perhaps the source of the signal might be able to offer you access to an ethernet port.

Back when I had broadcom crapola, convinced a guy to trade his wifi stick with me (plus 5 bucks!), one with a ralink chip that happened to work. Broadcom really really really stinks for us Linux wifi users at times

Comment

To claydoh:

I have not thought about using my smartphone. I'll give it a try. Hopefully it will work on an Apples Iphone. Maybe?

As for my Wifi, I get it from a Wifi hotspot device. So yeah, no hard-line ethernet connection.

Also,I will decide to buy a new USB Wifi adapter compatible with Linux if all else seems to fail. But not sure which would be the best either.

Overall, I'll check the links you post and see what they offer and help on my task. And I'll keep that bit of advice as I go along.
          I'll continue to do more research and experimenting till I find something that works. I'll post my results and mark solved if I run into a solution.

Comment

Originally posted by S.Miller View Post
            Also,I will decide to buy a new USB Wifi adapter compatible with Linux if all else seems to fail. But not sure which would be the best either
            I bought a cheap (20 NZD, about 16 USD) store brand Realtek RTL8188CUS based dongle recently. Worked straight away, booting from a Lubuntu live CD.
            Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
            X