This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dropbox Overlay Icons in Dolphin

I installed dropbox, via the command on the dropbox website, found where it downloaded and have installed it and it is running well. However, I have searched high and low and have found no way to get dropbox overlay icons on the individual files and folders in Dolphin.

Thanks in advance for you time and help,
    SB

I use the Dropbox daemon also, and have never seen the overlay icons. This may be available only for GNOME/Gtk desktops.

Comment

I have came across two links that look promising. The first one in the comments section told me that the project moved to this link. I tried to download and install the .deb from the first link and I was missing dependencies. I am not sure what to do with the information provided on the second link.

Thanks,
      SB

Comment

The package in the first link is very old; I'm not surprised it doesn't work anymore. The code in the second link appears -- from a very cursory reading -- to be adding Dropbox support to kdesdk-dolphin-plugins, which is an add-on that allows developers to use Dolphin for managing source code revision systems. It doesn't appear to be a general-purpose mechanism for integrating Dropbox into Dolphin.

Comment

I'd suggest looking at Dropbox for KDE. The blog entry is from 2012, but I'm going to guess that it is still relevant.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
            I'd suggest looking at Dropbox for KDE. The blog entry is from 2012, but I'm going to guess that it is still relevant.
            Indeed it's relevant for getting Dropbox to work. But it doesn't add the overlay icons to the Dropbox folder in Dolphin.

Comment

SteveRiley I think I have it figured out.

I downloaded the kdesdk-dolphin-plugins from here and installed the .deb file. The link is to the official Ubuntu repositories and is specifically for Ubuntu 14.04. I also saw there was a saucy package as well.

Once installed I opened Dolphin --> Control --> Configure Dolphin --> Services and then selected Dropbox. A Dolphin restart is required for this to work.

I opened Dolphin and went to my Dropbox folder and had overlay icons! Whilst, they are not the typical Dropbox overlay icons they are functional and tell me the sync status of my folder/files. I suppose I will take function over fashion!

Comment

Originally posted by sbrandt View Post
                I will take function over fashion!
                Whoa, hold yer horses there! You accept a working condition over a "it MUST look this way" solution!? Heresy I say. To the stocks with ye!!
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                  To the stocks with ye!!
                  Are the stocks pretty? With stocks I choose fashion over function.

Comment

Originally posted by sbrandt View Post
                    I downloaded the kdesdk-dolphin-plugins from here and installed the .deb file. The link is to the official Ubuntu repositories and is specifically for Ubuntu 14.04. I also saw there was a saucy package as well.
                    Excellent! I didn't realize that the package in the repository was that up-to-date. Good sleuthing.

Comment

This is great! But I use https://www.copy.com/install/ for most of my cloud storage, I wonder if theres any dolphin integrattion for that...
                      Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

I decided the prime solution for me is to install Nautilus and make it default file manager. I would imagine this would also work for better Copy integration, but I am not sure.

Click image for larger version

Name:	kdedropboxnautilus.png
Views:	1
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	640754

Comment

Working...
                        X