X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open as Administrator in Dolphin [right click]

I am a Newbie and Loving Kubuntu.

Looking for "Open as Root" on right click in Dolphin.

I did install....

Configure Dolphin>>>Services>>>Download New Services>>>Simple Root Actions Menu but that does not give just a basic "open as root" option.

Can someone point me in right direction?

Thanks.

In the very rare occasion I use Dolphin as root I go to terminal and type: sudo dolphin

You could make a short cut icon using the same and it should prompt you for password. I use root mostly to fix things at a terminal window level.

Comment

You want to install "Root Action Servicemenu" ( http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=48411 ). It has more options than Simple Root Actions, including the "open as root" you are looking for. You can install it through Dolphin "Configure Dolphin ->Services -> Download New Services" and search "Root Actions" as long as you have Ruby installed on your system.
      Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
      tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

I would also recommend root actions menu. But if you are going to use terminal, you should use kdesudo or gksudo.

From Ubuntu Documentation.

Graphical sudo

You should never use normal sudo to start graphical applications as Root. You should use gksudo (kdesudo on Kubuntu) to run such programs. gksudo sets HOME=~root, and copies .Xauthority to a tmp directory. This prevents files in your home directory becoming owned by Root. (AFAICT, this is all that's special about the environment of the started process with gksudo vs. sudo).
        Examples:
        gksudo gedit /etc/fstabor
        kdesudo kate /etc/X11/xorg.conf
        • [*=left]To run the graphical configuration utilities, simply launch the application via the Administration menu.
          [*=left]gksudo and kdesudo simply link to the commands gksu and kdesu
        Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
        Always consider Occam's Razor
        Rich

Comment

Originally posted by benny_fletch View Post
          You want to install "Root Action Servicemenu" ( http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=48411 ). It has more options than Simple Root Actions, including the "open as root" you are looking for. You can install it through Dolphin "Configure Dolphin ->Services -> Download New Services" and search "Root Actions" as long as you have Ruby installed on your system.
          I highly second this. This servicemenu was written by our own member, kubicle. I've been using it since October 2008, and it's one of the first things I add when I've installed a new release of Kubuntu.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Since I have your eyes on the topic (sorry for borrowing the thread, I'll give it back immediately ):

I'm likely going to revert the "dbus-launch fix" introduced in version 2.8 of the menu when I get the chance, as using dbus-launch spawns a new dbus-daemon every time it's used (this is by design with dbus-launch). I'll revisit the issue with a better fix once dbus-run-session trickles down from upstream (dbus 1.7.x).

So if you're seeing multiple dbus-daemons for root, they'll be gone in 2.8.1.

Comment

Thanks for the help in getting this solved. The "Open as Root" issue was the only irritant I could find with Kubuntu. Now, it's solved!

Comment

you can also:
                right click on item
                open with
                other
                kdesudo kate //in edit line

of course you can substitute "kate" with any application you want. not as nice as kubicles fix, but works out of the box.
                FKA: tanderson

Comment

Working...
                X