This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kbuildsycoca4 seems always error.

Hi, i'm kubuntu users since 1 years ago, but i'm still newbie...
    i use Kubuntu 12.04.1 that i've been using since november last years. but i always wondering why after installing or update some package in konsole my kbuildsycoca4 always error, always like this :

kbuildsycoca4 running...
    Error: "/var/tmp/kdecache-saif" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
    kbuildsycoca4(2474) VFolderMenu::loadDoc: Parse error in "/home/saif/.config/menus/applications-merged/xdg-desktop-menu-dummy.menu" , line 1 , col 1 : "unexpected end of file"

so i always need to use ctrl c to stop it.

anybody know why its like that, and how to solve it?

Sounds like /home/saif/.config/menus/applications-merged/xdg-desktop-menu-dummy.menu has problems in it. Looking in that file would be a start.

Comment

Have you run any gui applications using sudo instead of kdesudo? Doing that messes up user file permission and is the likely cause of the first error you see, so only use sudo for terminal programs, not those with a gui.

To fix this if it is the problem, you will have to fix permissions like this:

Code:
      sudo chown -Rv <your-username>:<your-username> /home/<your-username>
      Last edited by claydoh; Feb 06, 2013, 04:07 PM.

Comment

The kbuildsyscoca4 part is a recurring error I have seen over the years, but it is safe to ignore; it seems to be a cross-distro xdg thing, as the file in question is an empty (blank) one and thus can't be parsed.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          The kbuildsyscoca4 part is a recurring error I have seen over the years, but it is safe to ignore; it seems to be a cross-distro xdg thing, as the file in question is an empty (blank) one and thus can't be parsed.
          I second that. I always see errors from that but its never actually affected my setup.

Comment

i've done like that but after that, kbuildsycoca4 running again and, error again...

Error: "/var/tmp/kdecache-saif" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
            kbuildsycoca4(2755) VFolderMenu::loadDoc: Parse error in "/home/saif/.config/menus/applications-merged/xdg-desktop-menu-dummy.menu" , line 1 , col 1 : "unexpected end of file"
            kbuildsycoca4(2756) VFolderMenu::loadDoc: Parse error in "/home/saif/.config/menus/applications-merged/xdg-desktop-menu-dummy.menu" , line 1 , col 1 : "unexpected end of file"

Comment

is it safe to remove that program?

Comment

Originally posted by saif32 View Post
                is it safe to remove that program?
                NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Leave it, its an integral part of KDE. Trying to remove it would force you to remove the whole KDE. Just ignore the little errors it kicks out.

Comment

weh,
                  then, what is the function of that program?

Comment

Not too sure to be honest. It has to do with building caches etc which is very important. Here is what a quick Google yielded:

kbuildsycoca4, as part of the KDE command line tools ensures the proper operation of KDE by reading in all the .desktop, .directory, .kimgio and .protocol files to constructs a binary database.

KDE itself accesses this database during operation to provide configuration information a program needs to run.

This tool is part of ksycoca, which stands for KDE System Configuration Cache
                    - http://linux.die.net/man/8/kbuildsycoca4

Comment

hmm, thanks, nice info...
                      so the solution is just ignore the little error thaht it gave, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by saif32 View Post
                        hmm, thanks, nice info...
                        so the solution is just ignore the little error thaht it gave, isn't it?
                        Yip. Just ignore it. It's really not much more than a nuisance for perfectionists. Don't forget to mark the the thread solved using the thread tools.

Comment

yup, thanks.....

Comment

Working...
                          X