Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Libreoffice 3.6.3 Difficult to Port to Kubuntu?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Libreoffice 3.6.3 Difficult to Port to Kubuntu?

My understanding is that the next version of LibreOffice has been available for over a week and I have added this repository to my package list with:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libreoffice/libreoffice-prereleases
    I still have 3.6.2.2 and I am wondering if this is a pseudo 3.6.3 or is this still in the process of being readied for release?

That is a pre-release ppa, they normally contain beta/alpha software and not the final versions.

Comment

Hmm, that PPA looks out-of-date. The version is 3.6.0; build times were 15 to 17 weeks ago. It has a number of failed builds in it...makes me think there's probably something wrong with the recipe.

I puttered about Launchpad a bit and couldn't find any 3.6.3 builds anywhere. Time to roll up your sleeves and get crackin'!

Comment

The ppa that I used in my first post I got from LibreOffice 3.6.3 Is Now Available–Install in Ubuntu 12.10 and when I installed LibreOffice it ended up being 3.6.2.2 which was what I had previously. So I do not think this ppa has anything new.

Comment

Or grab the packages provided by Libreoffice if you cannot wait.

You will have to uninstall your existing LO packages first, iirc, before installing those.

LO is a bit rough to compile/package due to its size and complexity, but the Ubuntu Libreoffice team usually get to it eventually - volunteer efforts and all that

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Releases/3.6.3/RC2 (The final is identical to the rc2, so this info is up-to-date

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/I..._Based_Install
          Last edited by claydoh; Nov 13, 2012, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the information and I am happy to wait. At least it will be coming. I find that it is safer to use the builds in the ubuntu ppa rather than download from the Libreoffice Site. I am very impressed with the quality of the released packages, that is why I take the risk to use pre-released versions.

Comment

The GOOD and the BAD

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
              My understanding is that the next version of LibreOffice has been available for over a week and I have added this repository to my package list with:
              Code:
              sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libreoffice/libreoffice-prereleases
              I still have 3.6.2.2 and I am wondering if this is a pseudo 3.6.3 or is this still in the process of being readied for release?
              The libreoffice-prereleases site now has 4.0.0.0.alpha1, so it looks like that the new version for Kubuntu will be 4.0.0. So that is the GOOD NEWS. Now the BAD NEWS is that with it being an Alpha1 release it has problems if you want to have multimedia, ie movie files, inserted into Impress. These do not work. So if you require media in Impress, disable the libreoffice-prereleases repository and wait for a version of 4.0.0 release schedule that you are willing to try. So far, this is the only problem that I have encountered.
              Last edited by NoWorries; Nov 24, 2012, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X