• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating new text document in dolphin

1. Open dolphin
    2. Right-Click
    3. Create New > Text Document

A file with extension .kwd is created. When i click on it, it asks me which program should be used to open it.

Shouldn't the extension be .odt by default?

What office programs do you currently have installed?

Comment

The problem lies in Calligra. Maybe i should file a bug report to its dev for it

Comment

Originally posted by Nayar View Post
        The problem lies in Calligra. Maybe i should file a bug report to its dev for it
        Hmm seeing the same problem here, with and without calligra installed.

The problem is not with Calligra, it is not involved in creating the file. The problem I think is with dolphin creating the wrong type of file by default.

To me it looks like a koffice file, but the latest version of Calligra will not open it so I suspect its been deprecated a while ago. I would suggest filing a bug report with dolphin, however this also seems to be a problem with plasma-desktops folder view.

Comment

I have an option to create LibreOffice Writer files which are .odt by default.

Comment

Hmm, that's weird. I don't have any "Text Document" option in my Create New dialog. I have "Text File" which creates a .txt file, and I have "LibreOffice Writer", "LibreOffice Text", etc., which create .odt, .ods, etc. I don't have Calligra installed, only LibreOffice. Is this a fresh install of 12.04 or did you upgrade from an earlier version? I upgraded from two earlier versions.

Comment

There was a thread on enabling this someplace in the dungeons. It will take a bit of looking since the search terms are such commonly used ones.

woodsmoke
              sigpic
              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Bumpy View Post
                Hmm, that's weird. I don't have any "Text Document" option in my Create New dialog. I have "Text File" which creates a .txt file, and I have "LibreOffice Writer", "LibreOffice Text", etc., which create .odt, .ods, etc. I don't have Calligra installed, only LibreOffice. Is this a fresh install of 12.04 or did you upgrade from an earlier version? I upgraded from two earlier versions.
                No. it's not from a clean install. In all my Kubuntus, i install Calligra first. I guess the "Text Document" feature is hooked in the calligra installer. I'll confirm this in a new install of calligra in a fresh install soon

Comment

Isn't this something that is determined in the Settings -> System Settings -> File Associations menu (as a plain text document for .txt files) ?

Programs co-opt the file associations (when they newly install) all the time -- I often have to reset them using the File Associations menu (or using Dolphin's Open With -> Other... menu) ...

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
                  and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

At least for text files and Kate, you can return to the original associations with this:
                    Code:
                    sudo apt-get install --reinstall kate

Comment

Working...
                    X