This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sleep/suspend not working

I made some space on my hard drive yesterday and installed the latest daily build of Kubuntu 11.04, downloaded the latest KDE 4.61 updates and have found that I have a very stable system. Far less crashes and bugs than in the main Ubuntu/Unity release.

I've only two real problems at the moment. A kwin crash that I'll deal with elsewhere and my PC failing to go into sleep mode. The screen goes blank but after a few minutes my PC still hasn't shut down, moving the mouse brings back the display and I can carry on using my PC. Putting my PC to sleep is normally a very quick process when using Ubuntu 10.04, 10.10 or Xubuntu 11.04 which I also have available. I've searched the KDE bug site but haven't found anything that really matches what I'm seeing. I'm not sure if the problem is with KDE, Kubuntu or specifically with my PC.

Is this a known problem? Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated as I would very much like to get this problem or bug sorted. I put my PC to sleep every night rather than shutting it down.

Edit: It seems 'Log out' doesn't work either.

Re: Sleep/suspend not working

I know it's considered bad practice to follow up your own posts but in the last 30 minutes I've found workarounds for both these problems.

Firstly, the problem of not being able to log out was fixed by adding TerminateServer=true to the X-*-Core section of /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc. Found on this forum I believe.

Secondly, persistent Googling eventually led me to an issue reported on another forum in connection with network shares. As soon as I unmounted my networked hard drive, suspend or sleep worked flawlessly.

It only goes to prove that whatever problems you have, someone else will probably already have had them and hopefully documented the fix or workaround, you just have to search. I didn't have this problem with my now deleted Ubuntu installation nor do I with my existing Xubuntu installation. May be it was a bad Kubuntu install but now I just need to see if bugs have already been reported or whether I need to do that myself.

Comment

I had suspend to ram issues. dmesg analysis revealed that ksysguardd was stopping the s2r.

Had to disable my monitoring plasmoids (which use ksysguardd) to be able to s2r.
      OTOH, I have network filesystems mounted and those work and don't interfere with s2r.

Comment

Maybe you should try what I point out in this post: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3115961.0

Using uswsusp instead of kernel mode suspend has proved to be a lot more reliable to me

Comment

Originally posted by Xinixs
          Maybe you should try what I point out in this post: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3115961.0

Using uswsusp instead of kernel mode suspend has proved to be a lot more reliable to me
          I tried that on the day I first posted here.

For now I'm un-mounting my networked drive and re-mounting it on resume.

Comment

Working...
          X