X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

adept

Adept is not stable.
    It crashes a lot...

When I try to commit changes...I have to click the commit button twice.

Also in Breezy, I can see each package's installed size..but in dapper, adept only tell me n/a

anyone got the same problem?

Re: adept

Originally posted by curtis1005
    anyone got the same problem?
    Yes, everybody, I think.
    Adept & Adept Updater are buggy, CUPS too.
    But, c'mon, it's Alpha stage, let's wait for the final release.

Cheers
    Nevermore! Nevermore! - E. A. Poe

Comment

i ve seen alot of people saying that dapper isn't stable at all and crashes alot. im currently using Kubuntu Dapper Flight Cd4 and never had any type crash. i don't know but maybe im lucky.

and i ve used many of the programs installed and also installed other ones and never had problems till now even using adept which im starting to like as im knew to ubuntu (kubuntu).

there's only one problem about mp3 decoder as im new to kubuntu i ve always found mp3 suport arleady installed. gonna post something about it now...........

Comment

I just make some changes to KUBUNTU to improve performance as per another post. The changes included HDPARM. Now I find that ADEPT does not work properly. Initially it will do all the package stuff but when I am done and exit the application, I cannot access it again without rebooting. I click on the application, the little icon spins for a while and then disappears and nothing else happens. If I reboot and access it again, no problem!
        Any ideas as to why that suddenly changed? Anything to do with the HDPARM changes?
        I also get errors in MIME when I start ADEPT. I am at work now and don't remember exactly what the error is but there are 2 of them, both refering to MIME not being there or not being started. Sorry for being vague about this.
        Any help or suggestions would be welcome.

Comment

the thing with the bouncing cursor happens also at my computer and not only with adept AND not only with dapper (breezy also). this means that the application crashed at startup and kde somehow didn't realize it. for me it helps often to relaunch the app immediately. you can also try to run adept from the console to see why it crashes and post it here.

the other issue can be solved by right-clicking on the adept-item in the "start"-menu. a config-manager pops-up and you can remove everything but 'adept' in the entryfield called "command" (don't know exactly how its called in the english version). click "save" (right top corner). this worked for me.

but there is another issue with adept: it's extremely slow on startup, isn't it? what do you think?

hope that help(s)(ed),
          cheers.

Comment

Ok, I removed everything from the command except Adept, started it, got the password entry screen and then nothing! Again.
            I then tried running it from the Konsole using "exec adept" but the screen flashes something really fast and then the session ends!! I have no idea what is flashed on the screen.
            No very helpful I know. Any other suggestions that I can try (short of reinstalling)?
            Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by hucomp
              Ok, I removed everything from the command except Adept, started it, got the password entry screen and then nothing! Again.
              I then tried running it from the Konsole using "exec adept" but the screen flashes something really fast and then the session ends!! I have no idea what is flashed on the screen.
              No very helpful I know. Any other suggestions that I can try (short of reinstalling)?
              Thanks
              I rebooted KUBUNTU and started ADEPT from the Kmenu. I entered the password and I got this error "Could not find mime type application/octet stream". CLicked on OK and then I got ADEPT. I searched ADEPT for OCTET and found 2 applications that were not installed. I will install them and see what happens. I will let you know.

Comment

Thanks
                Ok, I restarted ADEPT and got the same message about OCTET-STREAM. I got into ADEPT again though and searched for ADEPT and then displayed the details of the installed pacakge. It displayed the required pacakges and the damn thing locked up! Can't do anything in it. All I am left with a large blank screen with ADEPT header. If I click the X at the top right, it will tell me that the program is not responding (I have done this before). Maybe I should load the install CD and do a rescue?!?!?
                Help
                I rebooted KUBUNTU and started ADEPT from the Kmenu. I entered the password and I got this error "Could not find mime type application/octet stream". CLicked on OK and then I got ADEPT. I searched ADEPT for OCTET and found 2 applications that were not installed. I will install them and see what happens. I will let you know.

Comment

i also installed these octet-packages with no change - as you mentioned.

don't run adept like 'exec adept'. this really just closes the konsole and nothing happens. just type 'adept' - that's all.

waiting for your results ,
                  cheers.

Comment

Hi,
                    I personally am not impressed with adept at all. I suggest installing Synaptic, its more user friendly and works well. I trashed adept in breezy and was surprised to see it in dapper again. It has an awkward interface, is confusing and cluttered and cannot pick up a CD as Synaptic does. It will actually take some of the flair away from Dapper kubuntu in my opinion.
                    Regards
                    Matchless :-X
                    Regards<br />Matchless<br /><br />Proudly kubuntu!

Comment

I just tried to get Synaptic. Well, I think I might have found some
                      of my problem with Adept and or retrieving Synaptic. When I went
                      to both terminal or failsafe my sources list was really messed up
                      and couldn't find the proper updates. Here it is:

patrick@ubuntu:~$ Sudo apt-get update
                      bash: Sudo: command not found
                      patrick@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get update
                      E: Type 'http://packages.ubuntu.com/breezy/kde/bibletime' is not known on line 1 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list
                      patrick@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install synaptic
                      E: Type 'http://packages.ubuntu.com/breezy/kde/bibletime' is not known on line 1 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list
                      E: The list of sources could not be read.
                      patrick@ubuntu:~$

How do I get back to my proper sources list? I was typing in a
                      repository when it crashed. As well, after that is resolved can
                      I get my Adept or Synaptic up and running? I feel so lost without
                      a Package Manager.

Patrick

Comment

Hi,

You should use kate or something :
                        kdesu kate /etc/apt/sources.list
                        Then I think you should remove the first line, save it and then retry..

If it's not working, you should use a website to create your sources.list.
                        http://www.ubuntulinux.nl/source-o-matic

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                        X