X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nvidia Driver won't install

Nvidia Driver won't install.
    Kubuntu 13.10 Installed from iso DVD (midsum OK)
    Using Additional Drivers, I activated it, & then rebooted.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	AdditionalDrivers.png
Views:	1
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	648040
    On reboot, I get the same message as above!!
    How can I resolve this?
    Bye the way, have been using kubuntu 13.4 from the outset, & recently ran the upgrade to 13.10
    Have had no end of errors. So left that drive parked & installed the CD version on a different drive.
    Am already experiencing weird behavoiurs, but for now I would like to get Nvidia sorted out!

It depends on if your box has more than one video driver. My Acer V3-771G has an Intel HD4000 chip and a NVidia GeForce 650M chip. On many boxes with two chips one can sometimes use the BIOS to turn the primary chip off and activate the secondary chip. BUT, on boxes like mine the BIOS does NOT give a feature to disable the primary so that the secondary chip is automatically selected during boot up. So, in order to use the NVidia chip to run graphical programs using accelerated video I have to install Bumblebee and then add "optimus " in front of the app name in the command box of the menu for that app. HOWEVER, with recent upgrades of the nouveau driver I found that Stellarium, for example gives me the vsync rate, 60fps, which is faster than what optimus gave, which was about 55-58 fps. Minecraft gives the same fps. Before, they'd give less than 15 fps. So, I don't use Bumblebee any more. I also found out today that I don't even have to have the xserver-xorg-video-nouveau driver installed because the kernel has that driver built in, so when you blacklist nouveau it merely stops the xserver driver installled from the repository from loading. The driver supplied by the kernel driver nouveau.ko:
    Code:
    $ modprobe -l | grep nouveau
    kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau/nouveau.ko
    $

How do you get the NVIDIA driver up and running on Kubuntu versions up to 13.04? (doubtful about 13.10) I was looking into that this afternoon and found this:

sudo apt-get --purge remove xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`
    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
    sudo update-alternatives --config gl_conf
    #64 bit only!
    #sudo update-alternatives --config x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf

sudo ldconfig
    sudo update-initramfs -u
    sudo nvidia-xconfig
    The installation of the linux-headers will only work if you've used a kernel version that is in the repository. If you downloaded your kernel debs.
    You'll want to be sure to install the gpg key from the ubuntu-x-swat PPA to verify the download of the nvidia-current driver. The site is here:
    https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates

For Saucy drivers you may have to use the edgers ppa, which means bleeding edge, because saucy is so new:
    http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/ppa/xorg-edgers
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Oct 21, 2013, 06:47 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks for your reply - it was a little over my head, but lets start at the initial code you suggested re "modprobe -l | grep nouveau"
      I got the following error
      Code:
      bumpy@Bumpyputer2:~$ modprobe -l | grep nouveau
      modprobe: invalid option -- 'l'
      bumpy@Bumpyputer2:~$ modprobe -help
      Usage:
              modprobe [options] [-i] [-b] modulename
              modprobe [options] -a [-i] [-b] modulename [modulename...]
              modprobe [options] -r [-i] modulename
              modprobe [options] -r -a [-i] modulename [modulename...]
              modprobe [options] -c
              modprobe [options] --dump-modversions filename
      What would you suggest?
      Re your comment "I'm supposed to respect my elders, but its getting harder and harder for me to find one now" - I'm pushing 80 in Feb, and am finding the same as you! Anyway I want to stick with whatever Saucy wants, and will have to live with it.
      Look forward to your reply!

Comment

Hey, someone older than me!!! My respects kind sir!

The "-l" in that command is a lower case "L", not a "1" (one). An easy way to do this is to highlight the command from the webpage and paste it into a Konsole window using Shft+Ctrl+V.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Copied YOUR code
          Code:
          bumpy@Bumpyputer2:~$ modprobe -l | grep nouveau
          modprobe: invalid option -- 'l'
          bumpy@Bumpyputer2:~$
          What now, Junior!

Comment

There is no '-l' option to modprobe. Perhaps this will work better:
            lsmod | grep nouveau

Comment

Originally posted by andystmartin View Post
              There is no '-l' option to modprobe. Perhaps this will work better:
              lsmod | grep nouveau
              There is an "-l" option. It's purpose is to show which driver is being used by modprobe. For example, nouveau can be supplied by the xserver-xorg-video-nouveau package or from the kernel. This option will show where modprobe got its driver from.

From the modprobe man pages:
              -l --list List all modules matching the given wildcard (or "*" if no wildcard is given). This option is provided for backwards compatibility
              and may go away in future: see find(1) and basename(1) for a more flexible alternative.
              That option is there on my 12.04.2 installation.
              Last edited by GreyGeek; Oct 22, 2013, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Code:
                bumpy@Bumpyputer2:~$ lsmod | grep nouveau
                Did nothing!

Rightly or wrongly I Downloaded & installed Oct 21 2013 9.45am https://launchpadlibrarian.net/14660...ucy2_amd64.deb

Am just going to reboot & will be back sap with the results, if any!

Comment

I Downloaded & installed Oct 21 2013 9.45am https://launchpadlibrarian.net/14660...ucy2_amd64.deb

Rebooted – The KDE Crash Handler popped up- chose option: Restart Kwin – Nothing happened
                  continued-Report Bug -it tried to install debug symbols – Requesting installation of missing debug symbols packages – waited 5 mins -no results, cancelled it – clicked list of files
                  The packages containing debug information for the following application and libraries are missing:
                  /usr/bin/kwin
                  /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQtCore.so.4
                  /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQtGui.so.4
                  /usr/lib/libkdeui.so.5
                  /usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1
                  /usr/lib/kde4/libkdeinit/libkdeinit4_kwin.so
                  Clicked Next – Popup Message “This crash information is not useful enough, do you want to try to improve it? You will need to install some debugging packages.
                  bumpy@Bumpyputer2:~$ sudo apt-get install /usr/bin/kwin /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQtCore.so.4 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQtGui.so.4 /usr/lib/libkdeui.so.5 /usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1 /usr/lib/kde4/libkdeinit/libkdeinit4_kwin.so
                  [sudo] password for bumpy:
                  Reading package lists... Done
                  Building dependency tree
                  Reading state information... Done
                  E: Unable to locate package /usr/bin
                  E: Unable to locate package /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
                  E: Unable to locate package /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
                  E: Unable to locate package /usr/lib
                  E: Unable to locate package /usr/lib/fglrx
                  E: Unable to locate package /usr/lib/kde4/libkdeinit
                  Cancelled - then found underlying popup message behind Terminal: “Packages successfully installed.”
                  Rebooted
                  Not sure what to do now!
                  Just in case I will need it, did the following....
                  Downloaded GPUs:http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-d...304.108-driver
                  NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-319.60.run - This is what I used for kubuntu 12.04 previoously.
                  Need to know how to install a /run file if the previous method does not work.

Look forward to hearing from you - - maybe you are taking a Senior nap?

Comment

Originally posted by Bumpalot View Post
                    Code:
                    bumpy@Bumpyputer2:~$ lsmod | grep nouveau
                    Did nothing!

Rightly or wrongly I Downloaded & installed Oct 21 2013 9.45am https://launchpadlibrarian.net/14660...ucy2_amd64.deb

Am just going to reboot & will be back sap with the results, if any!
                    Why are you grabbing this? It is the amd control panel for the fglrx driver, nothing to do with nvidia whatsoever.

Comment

I was just following GreyGeek 's advice. Check out my previous reply - boy am I going round in seemingly ever decreasing circles!
                      Maybe yiu can shed light on what youe think I can do to get NVidia up & running?
                      Your help will be much apprreciated.

Comment

Not experienced any more with Nvidia, but to see what is installed, pop open muon and search for "nvidia", such as "nvidia-current" or "nvidia-304" or similar. I have seen jockey report incorrectly, but with ati/amd

What is your gpu? Were you using the closed source drivers in 13.04?

My suggestion, if there are no nvidia closed source drivers installed, is to try from the command line

Code:
                        sudo apt-get install nvidia-304
                        and spy for errors.

as to using grep to filter results from modprobe, use lsmod instead.

Code:
                        lsmod |grep nouveau

-l --list List all modules matching the given wildcard (or "*" if no
                        wildcard is given). This option is provided for backwards
                        compatibility and may go away in future: see find(1) and
                        basename(1) for a more flexible alternative.
                        Seems it has gone away

Comment

Working...
                        X