This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where's Network Manager?

Upgraded from 13.04 and just noticed that Network Manager is not down there. The other normal icons are, clipboard, volume, devices, more, time... but no Network Manager.

Doesn't seem to be a widget I can add either.
    https://www.linuxcounter.net/user/267216

Tried to remove and reinstall. apt-get remove network-manager let me just remove the single package. Then when trying to reinstall, it wants all this:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install network-manager
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    The following extra packages will be installed:
      apg avahi-utils cheese-common cracklib-runtime cups-pk-helper dconf-cli desktop-file-utils gir1.2-atk-1.0 gir1.2-freedesktop gir1.2-gdkpixbuf-2.0 gir1.2-gnomebluetooth-1.0 gir1.2-gtk-3.0 gir1.2-ibus-1.0 gir1.2-notify-0.7 gir1.2-pango-1.0
      gkbd-capplet gnome-bluetooth gnome-control-center gnome-control-center-data gnome-desktop3-data gnome-icon-theme-symbolic gnome-menus gnome-session-bin gnome-settings-daemon gnome-user-share gvfs gvfs-backends gvfs-common gvfs-daemons
      gvfs-libs hwdata ibus libcanberra-gtk3-0 libcanberra-gtk3-module libcheese-gtk23 libcheese7 libclutter-1.0-0 libclutter-1.0-common libclutter-gst-2.0-0 libclutter-gtk-1.0-0 libcogl-common libcogl-pango12 libcogl12 libcrack2
      libgnome-bluetooth11 libgnome-control-center1 libgnome-desktop-3-7 libgnome-menu-3-0 libgnomekbd-common libgnomekbd8 libgoa-1.0-0 libgoa-1.0-common libjson-glib-1.0-0 libjson-glib-1.0-common libnm-gtk-common libnm-gtk0 libpwquality-common
      libpwquality1 librest-0.7-0 libsecret-1-0 libsecret-common libsystemd-journal0 libwacom-common libwacom2 mousetweaks nautilus-data network-manager-gnome policykit-1-gnome python-gnomekeyring python-libxml2 python-notify python-smbc
      system-config-printer-common system-config-printer-gnome ubuntu-system-service
    Suggested packages:
      gnome-screensaver xscreensaver gnome-user-guide ubuntu-docs libcanberra-gtk-module apache2.2-bin libapache2-mod-dnssd gvfs-backends-goa ibus-clutter ibus-doc nautilus network-manager-openconnect-gnome network-manager-openvpn-gnome
      network-manager-vpnc-gnome
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      apg avahi-utils cheese-common cracklib-runtime cups-pk-helper dconf-cli desktop-file-utils gir1.2-atk-1.0 gir1.2-freedesktop gir1.2-gdkpixbuf-2.0 gir1.2-gnomebluetooth-1.0 gir1.2-gtk-3.0 gir1.2-ibus-1.0 gir1.2-notify-0.7 gir1.2-pango-1.0
      gkbd-capplet gnome-bluetooth gnome-control-center gnome-control-center-data gnome-desktop3-data gnome-icon-theme-symbolic gnome-menus gnome-session-bin gnome-settings-daemon gnome-user-share gvfs gvfs-backends gvfs-common gvfs-daemons
      gvfs-libs hwdata ibus libcanberra-gtk3-0 libcanberra-gtk3-module libcheese-gtk23 libcheese7 libclutter-1.0-0 libclutter-1.0-common libclutter-gst-2.0-0 libclutter-gtk-1.0-0 libcogl-common libcogl-pango12 libcogl12 libcrack2
      libgnome-bluetooth11 libgnome-control-center1 libgnome-desktop-3-7 libgnome-menu-3-0 libgnomekbd-common libgnomekbd8 libgoa-1.0-0 libgoa-1.0-common libjson-glib-1.0-0 libjson-glib-1.0-common libnm-gtk-common libnm-gtk0 libpwquality-common
      libpwquality1 librest-0.7-0 libsecret-1-0 libsecret-common libsystemd-journal0 libwacom-common libwacom2 mousetweaks nautilus-data network-manager network-manager-gnome policykit-1-gnome python-gnomekeyring python-libxml2 python-notify
      python-smbc system-config-printer-common system-config-printer-gnome ubuntu-system-service
    0 upgraded, 76 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 10.4 MB/11.0 MB of archives.
    After this operation, 52.5 MB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n

Comment

If you try:
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends network-manger
      What does it show?
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Maybe ?

please remove networkmanagement source and binary from archive: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...t/+bug/1234055
        Bug Description

networkmanagement was replaced by plasma-nm which is upstream maintained and the future of network management in KDE workspaces. Since networkmanagement is not actively maintained and plasma-nm is the go-to replacement, former should be removed to facilitate transition and testing of latter.

Please remove networkmanagement source and binary from the archive.
        The new one

:~$ apt-cache show plasma-nm
        Package: plasma-nm
        Priority: extra
        Section: universe/kde
        Installed-Size: 4160
        Maintainer: Kubuntu Developers <***@***>
        Description: Plasma applet for managing network connections
        Plasma applet written in QML for managing network connections
        Homepage: https://projects.kde.org/projects/pl...work/plasma-nm
        Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
        Origin: Ubuntu
        Task: kubuntu-desktop, kubuntu-full, kubuntu-active-desktop, kubuntu-active-full

It is a plasma widget ...

It can be added to the system tray. If it is not there.

Right click the system tray. Click the system tray settings.

Pick the network management.

Should be there.

Last edited by Rog132; Oct 07, 2013, 02:54 AM.
        A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
        Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          If you try:
          Code:
          sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends network-manger
          What does it show?
          Shows you spelled it wrong. :-)

If I correct the spelling it installs.

Code:
          sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends network-manager
          Reading package lists... Done
          Building dependency tree       
          Reading state information... Done
          Recommended packages:
            network-manager-gnome plasma-widget-networkmanagement plasma-nm
          The following NEW packages will be installed:
            network-manager
          0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
          Need to get 614 kB of archives.
          After this operation, 2,003 kB of additional disk space will be used.
          Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ saucy/main network-manager amd64 0.9.8.0-0ubuntu21 [614 kB]
          Fetched 614 kB in 0s (30.9 MB/s)        
          Selecting previously unselected package network-manager.
          (Reading database ... 148475 files and directories currently installed.)
          Unpacking network-manager (from .../network-manager_0.9.8.0-0ubuntu21_amd64.deb) ...
          Processing triggers for man-db ...
          Processing triggers for ureadahead ...
          Setting up network-manager (0.9.8.0-0ubuntu21) ...
          Processing triggers for ureadahead ...
          Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
          But I still see no option to add a widget.

I even tried installing plasma-nm but don't see a way to add it to the panel.

Maybe have to logout and back in for it to show up?

Comment

New applications

kubuntu-desktop

kubuntu-desktop: http://packages.ubuntu.com/saucy/kubuntu-desktop
            is recommending the plasma-nm

plasma-nm: http://packages.ubuntu.com/saucy/plasma-nm
            is depending the network-manager

If the kubuntu-desktop is installed then it should draw the needed bits and pieces...

New programs

But I still see no option to add a widget.

I even tried installing plasma-nm but don't see a way to add it to the panel.

Maybe have to logout and back in for it to show up?
            The plasma browser is only reading the desktop files. If the plasma-nm is installed

:~$ apt-cache policy plasma-nm
            plasma-nm:
            Installed: 0.9.3.0-0ubuntu2
            Candidate: 0.9.3.0-0ubuntu2
            Version table:
            *** 0.9.3.0-0ubuntu2 0
            500 http://fi.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ saucy/universe amd64 Packages
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
            then there should be the desktop file /usr/share/kde4/services/plasma-applet-nm.desktop

and the plasma widget browser should show the applet.

The browser only reads the information from the desktop files - It doesn't care if the applet is working or not.

At here the new applications (and applets) are shown as the KDE gets the notification of the new apps. At here the log out or reboot is not needed. You could try with the 'kbuildsycoca4'

Code:
            kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental
            :~$ kbuildsycoca4 --help
            Usage: kbuildsycoca4 [Qt-options] [KDE-options] [options]

Rebuilds the system configuration cache.

Generic options:
            --help Show help about options
            --help-qt Show Qt specific options
            --help-kde Show KDE specific options
            --help-all Show all options
            --author Show author information
            -v, --version Show version information
            --license Show license information
            -- End of options

Options:
            --nosignal Do not signal applications to update
            --noincremental Disable incremental update, re-read everything
            --checkstamps Check file timestamps
            --nocheckfiles Disable checking files (dangerous)
            --global Create global database
            --menutest Perform menu generation test run only
            --track <menu-id> Track menu id for debug purposes
            Last edited by Rog132; Oct 07, 2013, 09:02 AM.
            A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
            Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

I installed plasma-nm, didn't see the option to add it. Installed network-manager and still didn't see it. Rebooted, still no option. Saw mention of kubuntu-desktop somewhere and installed that, apparently it wasn't there. It installed a handful of other packages and I rebooted. Now Network Manager shows up properly without me having to add it.

Comment

Have you looked at the system tray settings?

right-click the arrow, System Tray Settings >> Display >> check for Network Management. There might be 2 entries there, enable the one with the globe for the new applet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot2.png
Views:	1
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	640479

Comment

It's there now. I just installed those packages I mentioned and rebooted. It just shows up now. Didn't go in and check anything. Just installed the packages and reboot.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                    Have you looked at the system tray settings?

right-click the arrow, System Tray Settings >> Display >> check for Network Management. There might be 2 entries there, enable the one with the globe for the new applet.
                    Will the old one be removed? I've found the old one much more interesting because it contains more information about the networks. What do you guys think?

Comment

Ok, the same thing happened to me! But, in my case, I didn't get the panel-applet back! I've already tried everything listed here, but there is no plasma-applet-nm at /usr/share/kde4/services/. Please help!

Adding some info: Luckly I've installed wicd before rebooting, just in case. But it's not working properly, I think. I can't connect to any network with kernel 3.11. I'm running and old backup kernel (3.5.0-28) and I was able to connect the unprotected network at the university. But I didn't test with protected ones...
                      Last edited by geoaraujo; Oct 10, 2013, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by geoaraujo View Post
                        Will the old one be removed? I've found the old one much more interesting because it contains more information about the networks. What do you guys think?
                        Yes, at least for me it was after the upgrade to saucy. The New one is fine, and allows for automatic vpn connections. All the info is in the new widget, just in a different place iirc

Sent from my dlx using Tapatalk now Free

Comment

Same issue here. Plasma-nm is installed and does not appear in the system tray not in the system tray settings.

Also tried plasma-widget-networkmanagement and that isn't available either. Very weird!

Comment

I've removed network-manager and plasma-nm and now I can't connect to a protected network with wicd. I do hope this is only temporary, I want to be able to use plasma-nm...

Comment

I have now joined the club of Disconnected Users!!! The latest updates left me with no Networking Interface. Wicd also failed to connect and gave the error shown below. In my home directory, .wicd is empty. Fortunately I can connect using Ethernet cable. My other system with 13.10 has no convenient Ethernet option, so for the time being, I will not do any updates on this system until this problem is fixed.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X